MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/29/2010 07:31 AM

Lyme Disease and Herpes Virus

sunshine4ere
sunshine4ere  

When I was first infected with Lyme Disease, I broke out with Shingles. Now I've been experiencing breakouts with cold sores, which I never had before in my life.

Is this connected somehow???

Thankyou

11/29/2010 08:52 AM
VicMac
VicMac  

Hey Sunshine,

As we all know, Lyme puts a real stress on the immune system. If you have herpes viruses, this may cause them to come out more.

I definately have had this issue, and sometimes can't distinguish the Lyme symptoms from the herpes.

But I will pass on one thing I have found that has helped immensely to keep herpes breakouts from happening as often.

Try to lessen the foods you eat that have an amino acid called "Arginine" in them. And eat more foods with Lysine in them. You can go online to see a list of these foods.

This has helped alot, and I get much fewer breakouts now. I had made nuts a major part of my diet, but they were an aggravation because of all the arginine.

My BEST wishes to you!

11/29/2010 08:58 AM
sunshine4ere
sunshine4ere  

Thanks a lot, I will look up those foods. You are right about the immune system, my Lyme doc mentioned that about the shingles when I got them.

Smile

11/29/2010 09:41 AM
kimmie0502
kimmie0502Posts: 5

I have had four bouts with shingles in the past 8 months. That was one of my first indications that something was seriously wrong.

I have since had several bouts of cold sores as well (which I have never had in my life). My doctor called it "viral syndrome" induced my immunosuppression. If you can get your doc to write you a script for famvir, take it for a couple of days as soon as you think you are having a problem.

I know now that when I get serious nerve pain in my back that I am about to break out with shingles. Last time I took the famvir for two days and I never broke out, and the pain went away. Hope this helps.

I am sorry you are going through this, but I am so thankful for people to relate too...Smile

11/29/2010 10:08 AM
fabajenna

I was told by my medical intuitive to take 5,000 mg of bioflavonoids per day for outbreaks. Hope it helps.

11/29/2010 12:24 PM
sunshine4ere
sunshine4ere  

Wow Kim,

Four bouts of shingles, you poor girl!!! They are so painful.

Thankyou for your advice on the meds, it's good there is something to help with this.

It's funny, the first time when the shingles first came, I had this severe pain on my side and I thought it was my liver. Then I broke out with this horrible rash that covered my whole torso....so I didn't notice when I broke out with the shingles.

I ended up in the emerg. just cause I couldn't stand the pain, and here was the shingles rash in amongst the other rash....which they didn't know what it was. It was only later that I saw that rash on the Lyme site.

11/29/2010 09:52 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

10/10/2013 02:50 PM
idontgeit

viruses are in your body they lye dormant until they reactivate when the body is weak due to illness stress or injury. so if you have lyme it will be easily reactivated from illness

just a thought

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved