MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/16/2010 05:53 PM

Does anyone see a sign here?

wlkthlne
wlkthlne  

Just read the head line in this article and look at how many new posts we have here at MDJ...

This makes me more sick than the "Bart" I am fighting with Lyme right now...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10317/1102863-51.stm

Pet Points: Lyme disease up among pets here

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dr. Lawrence Gerson V.M.D.

Millie was a 16-month-old spayed Bernese mountain dog who bounded into the veterinary examination room and greeted our staff with her wagging tail and bubbly personality. Her coat was sleek, her eyes were bright and her physical examination was normal.

She tested negative for internal parasites and was at her ideal weight. She was in perfect health -- or so we thought.

Millie was ready to go home when our veterinary technician noted her snap 4DX test was positive for Lyme disease. How was that possible?

The owner had done everything recommended to protect her by applying monthly tick protection; in fact, her owner was the veterinarian.

Lyme disease is increasing in Western Pennsylvania.

Veterinarians are seeing more ticks on local dogs now than in previous years.

Some are deer ticks that are infected with Borrelia burgdorferi, a spirochete bacterium that causes Lyme disease.

If vets are seeing Lyme in their four-legged patients, then humans are also at risk.

There is significant debate about how harmful Lyme disease is in dogs, but the disease is severe in people and precautions need to be taken.

The life cycle of the deer tick (Ixodes scapularis) is a complicated two-year process.

Larva hatch from eggs laid by the adult and feed on a small host, often a mouse.

If the host is infected with Lyme disease the larva will also become infected.

After a year, the larva molts to a nymph that again will feed on a host such as a mouse, dog or human.

The disease can spread at this point.

Nymphs molt to adults and find a variety of hosts to feed on, such as dogs, humans and often deer.

Deer do not show any signs of Lyme disease but are often carriers.

Birds also can contribute to the spread of ticks and tick-borne diseases.

People get a bull's-eye rash from the tick bite, and 80 percent of humans can become ill if infected.

People should contact a physician immediately if an attached tick is found on them.

Likewise, pet owners should contact their veterinarian for advice and assistance on how to safely remove embedded ticks from their pets.

It is very important that the entire tick be removed.

A great deal of controversy exists surrounding Lyme in the veterinary field.

Experts have different opinions regarding the significance of a positive test in a healthy animal, and about the value of vaccinating against Lyme.

They all agree that good tick control is fundamental to prevent the harmful bite and the spread of Lyme disease.

Professional topical products are available from veterinarians to kill and repel ticks.

Dogs infected with Lyme may show a fever, lameness and joint swelling. Symptoms will resolve within days of starting treatment with an antibiotic.

In some areas of the state, particularly eastern Pennsylvania, 80 percent of dogs could test positive.

A simple blood test should be performed during a pet's annual visit to check for tick-borne diseases as well as heartworms.

Lyme experts agree that preventing tick bites is the key to preventing Lyme disease.

Certain dog breeds, such as beagles, are less likely to become infected when exposed.

However Labrador and golden retrievers and Shetland sheepdogs are more at risk.

All dogs that test positive should be checked for protein in their urine.

Lyme nephritis is a serious complication of the kidney in infected dogs and can lead to kidney failure.

Vaccination for Lyme disease is available, but again there is controversy whether it's beneficial.

The inoculation can prevent the disease but could pose additional risks, such as vaccine reaction and damaging circulating immune complexes.

Because Millie's infection was detected and treated early she is now free of the disease and will not have to endure the chronic debilitating effects of Lyme disease.

Dog owners should discuss the risk factors with their veterinarian to develop a testing and prevention program.

In future articles we will present opinions from the local veterinary community on a wide range of topics.

Dr. Gerson is a veterinarian and founder of the Point Breeze Veterinary Clinic.

His column will appear biweekly. The intent of this column is to educate pet owners.

Consultation with a veterinarian is necessary to diagnose and treat individual pets.

If you have a question you'd like addressed in Pet Points, e-mail petpoints@post-gazette.com.

Please include your name and municipality or neighborhood.

First published on November 13, 2010 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10317/1102863- 51.stm#ixzz15WhzL9S5

edited; added entire article emphasizing things. bettyg

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/16/2010 10:41 PM

11/16/2010 06:24 PM
sunnydaysagain

I was told by a friend in NJ who's dog had lyme that the vet tested the dog in her office and she had the results back in a few mins.

Why do we have to wait weeks?

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/16/2010 10:42 PM

11/16/2010 08:14 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

I agree with you Walktheline, it really is kind of alarming. I wonder where we are headed with all this.

When I was bit back in 1993, I knew of only one person with Lyme, and almost no one believed I had gotten it, because it seemed to be so rare.

Now almost everyone I talk to has had some experience with Lyme whether they know someone, or have an animal with it, or have symptoms themselves that they are questioning.

I wonder if the time is coming when the president is going to have to announce that we are having a national epidemic?

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/16/2010 10:43 PM

11/16/2010 08:26 PM
Supermom2

I was doing some reading up on tic borne infections. There was substantially more veterinary information on symptoms, treatment and research and more concrete facts than there were in regards to humans.

Even the dogs have it better than most human Lyme patients. What a sad statement.

I've had at least one vet tell me it was she who was the first to correctly diagnose Lyme in several human cases when their owners started discussing their own mystery illnesses during vet appointments.

And remember we not only have to wait weeks, but even then the tests lack accuracy.

The only reason a faulty test process is allowed to continue to exist is because there are people who are gaining from it.

Follow the money... and I am sure it will lead back to the groups/individuals responsible for thwarting anyone else attempting to do decent Lyme research or who contradicts CDC/IDSA Lyme guidelines.

I wish I had unlimited money to build my own lab and gear it up for some decent research and in addition my own army of lawyers/lobbyists.

supermom2

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/16/2010 10:45 PM

11/16/2010 10:47 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

walktheline, i copied/pasted the article to your post so it's all in one spot. very interesting.

i used quotes on all replies so i could read everyone's posts; it enlarges text for my 41 yrs. of neuro lyme...

thanks everyone for understanding what i go thru trying to read this board and help others.

11/17/2010 03:59 PM
wlkthlne
wlkthlne  

Thanks Betty, How can I save you some time? You know I am not fancy like you when it comes to computersWink

I could bold things for you(you do such a great job though)...I can do that

How do I make it bigger so it is easier for you and others to read?(you said "Quote"Wink I am going to try that right here...

Hey , when I get all this figured out...they will change the programW00t Laughing

I hate this vista thing...but it's fast...the XP I liked that...Ohh well...story of my life..

For sure this was an interesting article...

wlkthlneCool

11/17/2010 04:25 PM
lindaca

I don't like the grey boxes, makes it harder to read with less contrast.

Too much bold and underlining is almost like YELLING as well, kinda like too much ALL CAPS.

I'd rather just see posts with adequate spacing so there aren't long blocks of text.

11/17/2010 04:33 PM
wlkthlne
wlkthlne  

Lindaca...I agree with you on the grey boxes..My vision has been effected bad by Lyme and Bart.

Out of respect to Betty, I would like to find out what works for her, perhaps her eye's are worse than mine?

As for the bold..we hold a difference in opinion..I can see and read the bold better...

I don't take it as shouting...only if it was in cap letters.....

I do agree with the spacing, that helps me too greatly.

Well, someday I will get it all rightWink Tongue

wlkthlneCool

11/17/2010 07:37 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Make that 3 on the grey boxes. I find it difficult to read and often wont make it through the post.

I hate VISTA....it sucks freezes up all the time

11/17/2010 08:25 PM
waxby
waxbyPosts: 4811
VIP Member

~~~Yes wlkthlne,as soon as we learn the answers,they change the questions.

~~~I've been using grey boxes for Betty.She thought all neuro challenged would benefit.OOOOOO that trouble maker Betty! Now what? An option that allows each reader to view each post as desired? Each post written in 27 different languages,flavors and colors?

~~~This disease can kiss my

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved