MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/16/2010 04:51 AM

Picc line and keeping a job

Missyindc

Could anyone who has had a picc line please comment on how soon they went back to work, if they worked full time, anything else? I was told yesterday this is likely my future and info would help planning. Thanks!

11/16/2010 06:56 AM
lshanahan119
lshanahan119  

hi missyindc, i feel the same way, i too may be looking at IV meds in the next few weeks

except i already gave up on work and went back on short term disability with an agreement to return part time after the holidays

i really was hoping to read some people sharing their stories of how they are able to work full time. I've been getting treatment since last december and it's been tough working.

that's why i finally decided to take time off beginning in september through october. I tried going back to work and i was utterly unsuccessful, hence back out of work

i would love to hear about people doing well and working. I'd also like to hear their tips and "coping mechanisms" for getting everything done in life.

good luck!

11/16/2010 10:18 AM
lindaca

You can go back to work the next day, the PICC install is not a big deal. You can reduce swelling/bruising by using a heating pad above the insertion site for 20 minutes of every hour for a few hours after you get home.

If you don't want to look like a walking medical lab, you can either buy cute PICC covers online, or you can get a dress sock and cut it off to put over it. I use the PICC covers I got online from a girl who sells on Etsy.com, and in a year I've only been asked 5 times what it was, so nobody realizes that it's covering something medical.

The bigger question is how you will react to the meds. They can make you more tired, or some people feel more sick overall. You won't know this until you start.

11/16/2010 10:47 AM
JANO
JANO  

HI Missy

I had the picc line last March 2009 and went back to work the next day. I had a covering on my whole arm. I wish I can say I feel better from it but now have been seeing an LLMD who put me on Biaxin and planquenil for six months . He gave me tetracycline but I had stopped. SOrry to say but i dont feel any different after all this time. Im just hoping to get better and always have the pain in my left rib cage, back .

You should be ok to go back to work but if your doing anything like heavy lifting u should check with your Dr. The picc line is safe just make sure you do everything the docs tell u to do.

My sister has a picc line all the time and she has CF. At first I was very scared but it went pretty smooth.

take care !

01/27/2011 03:20 AM
lband31
lband31  

I would to hear about more people who are back to work with a PICC in, I need to go back to work soon....

01/27/2011 03:21 AM
lband31
lband31  

I would to hear about more people who are back to work with a PICC in, I need to go back to work soon....

01/27/2011 04:21 AM
Julie4848

Iband31...

I work with a woman that is having Chemo and has a line in...She keeps its covered and clean. I knew another woman that had a line in for abx's twice a day, and same thing, she just kept it clean and covered, both are Admins. Type all day etc.

01/27/2011 05:24 AM
Ramilin
Ramilin  

I went to work the next day and worked with my picc line for almost 16 months. I personally never hid mine. I wore short sleeves and went upon normal business as if it wasn't even there. The only thing I used to cover mine is the netting (sock) the nursing company supplied.

I never hid my illness (they didn't know the full extent, but most of it) from my employer because after talking with ADA, I found that according to them, lyme is NOT a disabilty... but the symptoms can be considered. So, I took the stance that as long as I was getting my job done, I knew what the ADA had told me, I felt that my employer could not legally terminate me based on having the picc line. You can also call the ADA and find out your rights. They were very helpful to me.

01/27/2011 06:56 AM
Julie4848

Ramlin---They don't cover it to hide it, its so it stays clean...Smile

01/27/2011 07:22 AM
lband31
lband31  

But if I had a long sleeved shirt on, would the outline of it be obvious?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved