MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2010 05:40 PM

IgM v.s IgG

threeofus

So if I have this right (and please correct me if I'm wrong)... IgM refers to a more recent infection and IgG would be a past or longer, maybe chronic infection.

If this is the case, would you expect IgM to be negative if you had lyme for years and years? The reason I ask is because my IgG and IgM were positive by Igenex standards. I am figuring I have had lyme since at least 1996 and maybe earlier. Is this poor reasoning since IgM is positive? Also, my 8 yr old daughter, if her IgM is positive, would this imply she got lyme recently and not passed by me at birth? She has had her lyme symptoms since 1 yr old (if they are infact lyme symptoms).

Thanks.

10/19/2010 11:25 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

mom, i can't remember without reading all the entire explanation by dr. c on western blot igm/igg which is in my welcome letter to you.

if i sent it by PM, ARCHIVE it now; all pms will be deleted in 30 days.

reread it now as it says 1 ting in one place and another thing for exceptions to the rule ...

10/20/2010 03:23 AM
threeofus

Oh thanks, I will go find it today!

10/21/2010 08:15 PM
venusflytrap
venusflytrap  

A lot of us have positive IgM (and even negative IgG) despite years of symptoms... it would seem that the body views lyme as an active infection for a long time.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved