MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/21/2008 10:23 PM

Parvo B19, EBV, and Lyme disease

tmbro22
tmbro22  

My blood work continues to mystify me. I tested positive for Parvo B19 recently, as well as EBV (the virus that causes mono). The EBV result was through the roof, I mean ridiculously high levels. I've never been symptomatic of either. Could the high levels of Lyme bacteria cause a false positive? Has anyone else had these type of things happen? I think I would know if I had just contracted mono on top of the Lyme monster. . .

10/21/2008 10:45 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm not certain of the answer, but I do have a theory about several things with LD, the more I learn. I do know that with EBV, my doctor said that most people will eventually test positive for exposure to it at some point in their lives, some sooner than others, so I'm not sure if you tested positive for the active disease, or just exposure, but it's possible that you were just exposed to it...As to whether or not you could test false positive, I think it's a possibility, as the LD can mutate so fast inside your body, what's to make us think it couldn't mutate before it comes into contact with our body and make us test positive for things we don't really and truly have? There's still so much we don't know about it, that I have a hard time buying that the answer to your question could be definitively no. I guess, in essence, you would have both of them, if LD's DNA has EBV and Parvo, but at the same time, it's a cause of the LD itself, if that makes any sense? Am I just going around in my own head here? LOL...But the other thought I had is that LD does really compromise your immune system and bind it up to try to fight LD, and deal with all the complications of LD, so it's certainly possibly that you could actually have both EBV at a very high level and Parvo at the same time. No matter what we do, it seems we get screwed one way or another, I think, when we have LD. I think the problem with stating that you would know if you contracted mono on top of LD is that a LOT of people have no idea they have mono until they are very sick from it, and with LD, you're already pretty sick, I'm guessing? Many of the symptoms are similar, the chronic fatigue, pain, sweats, inability to do much. I mean, how would you know? I don't think I would. JMO...

10/22/2008 02:25 AM
shortangle2

I agree with Fluffy that most people are exposed to EBV at some point and it's always possible, no matter how remote, to get a false positive. Has your doctor tested you more than once? I would suggest that. Perhaps you do have both right now, but one is a virus, one is a bacteria.

When I first got sick many years ago, lyme was almost unheard of. My doctor tried very hard to figure out what was wrong with me. Since I was fatigued beyond belief, had very swollen glands and was "fluey" she kept testing me for mono as she didn't really know what else to do. I never did test positive for it.

If you have no symptoms of Mono, you probably don't have the active disease. Lyme can give you symptoms of many diseases but I don't believe it can change the actual biochemistry in your body to mimic any particular disease and it can't change a bacteria to a virus. I've personally never read anything that would suggest that.

Fluffy, every organism has unique DNA. There are no "add-ons" with a specific DNA. For example, lyme DNA is huge. All DNA is made up of 4 different substances that are sequenced in a unique way. There cannot be other diseases "in" the DNA of another organism. EBV has unique DNA and it is not "in" lyme DNA. It doesn't work that way.

I hope that's understandable. This is not my forte!

10/22/2008 04:56 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Actually it is pretty amazing to learn what you can test positive for.

i had a Computerized Bioenergetic Feedback done several years ago...

It discovered Pyers Patches in my intestines which is a signal for Celiac disease...after a few years of no gluten and moving to CO - I can tolerate some gluten products in moderation...(i know i keep telling people to get off the stuff and here i am saying i eat it - just cuz i know better doesnt mean i always do it - i blame the kids Tongue )

It also showed i was allergic to every grain on earth! Corn and rice were tolerable

It think that over time, Lyme had reiked havock in my digestive system, and when I removed the factors that made it worse, and my system had time to recoup, I could finally get back to some stuff. Had 2 surgeries (GB removed and a bowel obstruction removed - they didnt know what it was)...but doc said all looked good on the outside. Point: Lyme caused symptoms and complications related to Celiac - celiac is genetic and doesnt shut off once it turns on...

I also had showed Herpies six - I was REALLY FREAKIN when i saw that. Turns out most everyone has it - it is Exposure to Chicken Pox. Fact was a couple of weeks before the test - i developed a funny rash on my arms, a week later my oldest had chicken pox. I forget the name of the rash (not shingles) but was told that I would most likely go through the same thing any time i get exposed to it...

It is amazing what you will find with more tests. Dont get worked up over it.

This test showed where everything was in my body - babesia at my bite site...Lyme riddled througout my nervous system and muscles and joints, and brain. I think good old Bart is in there somewhere too.

Anyway...dont sweat it. You are going have all sorts of things coming out of the woodwork, just focus on your treatment and doing what you need for you to get better.

Better go kids are really pestering me

Christine

10/22/2008 06:13 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

shortangle...IDK what I was getting at! LOL. I certainly know that. I guess I looked like a real idiot, huh? I think what I was getting at was that I read that LD has such an ability to adapt to its environment and change that perhaps it can mutate to change into EBV and parvo, that perhaps in this case it did that, and here we are? IDK...Not that the DNA changes, but that the bacteria changes since it's known as the "great imitator." I can't remember where I read that it mutates so well to its environment, so perhaps the LD that is in tmbro22's body has also been exposed to EBV and Parvo, and has mutated some to match that, too? IDK...Just too many thoughts running around my already crowded head today! Tongue

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved