MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/04/2010 11:41 PM

Sensodyne's effect on nerve pain

Supermom2

Sensodyne is commonly recommended by dentists to assist in reducing nerve pain in the roots of teeth.

How does this work exactly?

Would its mechanisms of reducing pain be potentially applicable to nerve pain at other locations in the body? Why or why not?

Are there any products or supplements available that basically do this?

Just pondering our popular topic of pain...

I'm hoping someone (maybe toothfairy?) might have some insights.

Supermom2

10/04/2010 11:56 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

i've used sensodyne for years now; has helped the mouth pain i've had.

up for toothfairy carol Smile hugs to supermom Smile Kissing

10/05/2010 06:04 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Ok thanks Betty

Here is how and why sensitivity Toothpaste works:

The why we have pain is that the gums have receded and have exposed dentin on the root surface. This was not ever intended to be exposed. The crown of the tooth is covered with enamel. Thats the hard surface that makes it harder to get a cavity. Dentin is soft.

Sensodyne contains the maximum strength of a desensitizing ingredient (Potassium Nitrate) that the FDA allows. Potassium Nitrate desensitizes the nerve endings within the tubules found in the dentin, the sensitive layer of the tooth under the enamel, causing them to be less responsive to hot, cold, sweet, acidic or contact triggers. When used everyday, Sensodyne builds a protective barrier that blocks the pain of sensitive teeth and keeps it from coming back

The main nerve(and blood supply to the tooth) runs north south. Tubules (which are like little straws) run east west.

With continued use it lays a layer to close off the tubules so hot, cold, sweet and spicy dont cause that little zing that goes straight to the brain lol...

If you stop using the tooth paste The sensitivity will come back.

If your good little consumers and read the package, it says to discontinue after 4 weeks. It takes that long to actually work. Sooo I asked the rep why is that on the box. I was told it is a legal thing. For people who go for regular check ups its fine to continue. That warning is there for the patient who DOES NOT go regularly, because this toothpaste can mask cavities as well.

10/05/2010 06:14 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Thanks for that info Toothfairy. Sensodyne does work real well.

Does Lyme disease cause more tooth sensitivity? Wondered why I had it so bad.

I have just started using the coconut oil swishes and am wondering if I can eventually stop using the sensodyne after a while of this.

10/05/2010 07:02 PM
healinginprocess

I'm pretty sure Lyme causes receding gums. My own, I'm willing to bet, have been caused by Lyme. It's simply not a dental hygiene issue.

I wonder if the abx stop the gum recession?

10/05/2010 08:24 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Hi Vic

Im not sure about the coconut oil. Thats a new one for me.

Some patients tell me that they have stopped the toothpaste and the sensitivity has not returned.

Healing...

There are other factors that can cause gum recession besides hygiene.

Toothbrush abrasion and clenching and grinding have major effects.

I have had recession since I was 20 and it had nothing to do with Lyme. It was more about using too hard a brush and brushing too hard.

I see recession in all age groups and most patients do not have lyme.

Clenching and grinding are also contribiting factors. Both of these can cause abfractions (which is a splintering of the enamel where it joins the crown and root together, its like a wedge missing at the gumline)

There is also just the aging process. We have all heard the expression "getting long in the tooth"?

Thats recession for you.

Post edited by: toothfairy55, at: 10/05/2010 08:27 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved