MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/09/2008 06:33 PM

Staph Infected Bug Bite

organictexan
organictexan  

I had what I thought was an itchy insect bite just above my wrist. Well obviously it itched and I scratched and probably broke the skin. Now it looks like a raised blister, but in a bumpy way and it's very shiny looking. Anyone know if this might be staph? I bought hibicleanse today to keep it clean, thinking that I might now need to see the dr...it throbs on and off!

10/09/2008 07:51 PM
krissy
krissy  

a is sounds like staph. If it has a red area around it and is filled with puss, then its very possible. My son had 2 staph infections caused by mosquito bites that were scratched then turned. We all have staph on our skin. You should definitely go to a doc cause if it is you will need meds. My dad had a pimple on his face and picked at it and it turned out to be Mersa, it was nasty. He had to have it cut open 3x and packed. Staph or worse Mersa is not something to play with.

Blessings to you,

Krissy

10/09/2008 08:54 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

organictexan,

I'd like to really encourage you to go see your doc. I know that staph infections can be very dangerous. We do have staph on our skin all the time, but if it gets into our bloodstream, it can actually be terribly devastating.

I've been fighting a staph infection for a little over a week now. It's been a heck of a battle, too. IDK for sure how it happened, but I can take a few guesses. I have several cat scratches on the back of my leg. However, a sore that I had thought healed several MONTHS ago that sounds just like you are describing is the one that popped up as ugly and bruised, and it's the one that had red streaks coming from it the day before the infection got out of hand. It was itchy, but didn't seem so bad. I figured a little doctoring on my own, and it'd be fine.

The next morning, I literally had a beet red stocking going around my entire lower left leg, from the ankle up to about an inch below my knee. You read that right--no need to go back and re-read! It was itchy, throbbing, painful, and had lymph involvement. It was not a joking matter, and I shouldn't have let it wait, but I didn't realize the extent of the problem till I got scared I would lose the leg!

Just do me a favor, ease MY mind and go get it checked out. Don't wait, like I did, to see what it's gonna do. Better safe than sorry. You have LD, so you know that infections will take longer to heal. Better to look like a fool going in for "nothing" than to lose a limb, eh? LOL (not!)

*hugs*

Jen

10/10/2008 08:03 AM
organictexan
organictexan  

Yikes, now I'm scared. Waiting on a call back from my doctor. I started washing the entire area with Hibicleans but it seems to have grown in height and the skin around it is pinkish red.

10/10/2008 06:58 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Please keet me updated on what's going on with you--it has me a bit worried!

Jen

08/14/2013 09:49 AM
sm6544

I was attacked by horseflies and all my bites were infected. I decided to go to the Dr. and sure enough the sample came back for Bacterial Staph. Finished my antibiotics but I still see puss in one of them and the rest are just still reddish purple. I was given bactroban to put on but at $75 I opted not to get maybe I should fill the prescription. My concern is I have this ache in my hip for the past couple of weeks and its the same leg with the bites. Could this have any relation to the staph infection or could it be from working out? I'm concerned.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved