MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/15/2010 08:24 AM

Artemisinin Experiences

juneau121

I start Artemisinin today (also on Amoxicillin). Dosage is 200 mg. 2x/day. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with it (especially good or okay experiences). I'm nervous about it. Very nervous. I have 2 young sons, and a husband who flies and is gone for 4 days/week. I really am just wondering if it always causes severe herxing, at what dosages, and what you've done to stop them. Maybe I'm just looking for a little reassurance that it won't be that bad. I know everyone's experience is different, but a gal has to try. Thanks!

08/15/2010 09:45 AM
Wolfpack
Wolfpack  

Hey there. Everyone is different of course, but I take 100 mg 2X a day and have no herxing. Never did with Artemisinin. I'm not sure about 200 mg 2X a day, but if you herx bad, just cut back to 100, 2X a day. That's what my LLMD prescribed. And then talk to your LLMD about the dosage.

Don't worry too much. I think it's helped me. It hasn't ever made me sick or given me yeast infections like the ABX do.

Keep us posted.

Cindy

08/15/2010 10:52 AM
juneau121

Thanks for your message! While you were on a lesser dosage, it still gives me hope that I won't be severly affected. If I am, like you suggested, I'll be on the phone with my LLMD to lower the dose. Thank you again. It is usually my personality to look at what could happen and think it will. I worry at least 100 times more than I should. I downed the first pills 30 min. ago, and I feel good so far! Wink

08/15/2010 11:53 AM
ten1988
ten1988  

I took artemisinin for 10 days 200 mg three times a day, and on the evening of the third day of use developed a low grade fever, the chills, headache, and nausea for about a 14 hour period.

I then was fine all of a sudden after that amount of time. My shortness of breathe is now gone. I dont have as high of an anxiety level anymore. I think I had babesia and it killed some off. Im not sure though, but my LLMD said that was an herx.

08/15/2010 12:04 PM
juneau121

Ten1988: Oh, not looking forward to that but hope it's short-lived. I hope I get the good results you did! Thanks for sharing!

08/15/2010 09:41 PM
ten1988
ten1988  

If you herx it is doing something good for you. If youre going to herx it will be around the 3rd or 4th day of using the artemisinin. Let us know how it does!

08/16/2010 12:32 AM
VicMac
VicMac  

I have been taking Artemisinin for over a year now. Started out on 100mgs. 3x day and stayed on it for several months at that dose. I really am convinced it prevented me from some serious brain complications! I had felt like I was going insane in my head, with ringing and a host of things. It supposedly helps Babs. So I think now this is what I also have. It made a big improvement in everything but the ringing. I am down to 1 pill a day now. I did not herx on it at all. I may go up on it again. But not sure if it is okay to take so long. I am afraid to go off completely.

Hope you do well on it!

08/16/2010 05:52 AM
juneau121

Thank you for all your replies. I take Art every other day, so I'm not sure when to expect any possible herxing. I felt flu-ish and have been consistently running 99.5 fever, but it seemed to be too early in the course. I'll keep you all posted, but I've got to admit, I'm hoping I have an easy go of it. Trying to care for a 6 year old and 2 year old is exhausting enough! THANK YOU again --it's good to hear people who've had okay experience with it, rather than the horror stories that seem prevalent.

08/16/2010 11:22 AM
ten1988
ten1988  

One other thing I notice about the artemisinin, I get a metal taste in my mouth about an hour after taking it that lasts for about 2 hours. I thought that was weird?

08/16/2010 04:00 PM
zoemajik
zoemajik  

Hey there,

I took it a liquid extract of artemisia, along with Quina and Bactrim - all for babs. I took all three for two months or so, continued the Bactrim for six months total.

I loved it and I'm glad I did it. It knocked out the babs symptoms. I didn't feel it right away, but after awhile, I just noticed they were less apparent, and then suddenly gone.

No severe herxing that I remember, but I was very sick before that so probably wouldn't have noticed. Still fighting Lyme and bartonella, but it did help with the babesia.

Good luck! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved