MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/18/2008 07:48 PM

Cats Claw & Doxy together?

krissy
krissy  

So I was wondering if I should take Cats Claw WITH Doxy. I have been taking Cats Claw for about 2 weeks and in the last few days I have been having BAD pains in my knees and arms to hands. I guess this is Herxing

Well I started my Doxy today and I felt light headed all day and the pain, nerve pain, is everywhere. I have never felt this much pain in so many regions of my body all at once.

I am defiantly going to continue the Doxy but should I take the Cats Claw too?

Any advise is much welcomed. Thanks in advance

09/19/2008 01:01 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm not sure as to the answer. My impression would be that it may not be a good idea. Cats Claw is a natural antibiotic--perhaps I should say that technically, Cats Claw has natural antibiotic properties, I guess it depends on who's saying? LOL

If you think you are Herx'ing now...I'd probably not combine 2 antibiotic methods together. But that's just me. I had considered taking a TOA-free Cats Claw, but I don't want to combine that with Doxy, because I'm already Herx'ing on Doxy, and the Herx is BAD. I don't want to add more stuff to it, so I guess my thought is that if you HAVE to take the Doxy--I think I'd lay off the Cats Claw until either the Herx has stopped, or until the Doxy is completed and I didn't have to take more of it, whichever is sooner. Chances are, I would think anyway, that you will continue to Herx on Doxy if you're already Herx'ing as it is.

One suggestion I've read is that if you are having Herx'ing reactions with Cats Claw, you should consider backing off on it until the reaction stops (don't stop it but decrease the dose), so it may be that you have reached a dosage that is aggravating for you, and you need to back off and start the increase again. I'm not sure how you've been taking it, so I can't really suggest much else.

I know that when I got on ab's before the Doxy, I started Herx'ing, and it was much worse when I started the Doxy. I can sympathize. To me, the pain was the least of the problems. I hope you get to feeling better really soon.

I think I'd stop the Cats Claw, tho...

*hugs*

Jen

09/19/2008 05:29 AM
buckron

fluffyluggage wrote:

I'm not sure as to the answer. My impression would be that it may not be a good idea. Cats Claw is a natural antibiotic--perhaps I should say that technically, Cats Claw has natural antibiotic properties, I guess it depends on who's saying? LOL

If you think you are Herx'ing now...I'd probably not combine 2 antibiotic methods together. But that's just me. I had considered taking a TOA-free Cats Claw, but I don't want to combine that with Doxy, because I'm already Herx'ing on Doxy, and the Herx is BAD. I don't want to add more stuff to it, so I guess my thought is that if you HAVE to take the Doxy--I think I'd lay off the Cats Claw until either the Herx has stopped, or until the Doxy is completed and I didn't have to take more of it, whichever is sooner. Chances are, I would think anyway, that you will continue to Herx on Doxy if you're already Herx'ing as it is.

One suggestion I've read is that if you are having Herx'ing reactions with Cats Claw, you should consider backing off on it until the reaction stops (don't stop it but decrease the dose), so it may be that you have reached a dosage that is aggravating for you, and you need to back off and start the increase again. I'm not sure how you've been taking it, so I can't really suggest much else.

I know that when I got on ab's before the Doxy, I started Herx'ing, and it was much worse when I started the Doxy. I can sympathize. To me, the pain was the least of the problems. I hope you get to feeling better really soon.

I think I'd stop the Cats Claw, tho...

*hugs*

Jen

Buckron says:

I agree with fluffy, Doxy for short term blast and once that is finished let the cats claw do its work for the long haul which no one really knows how long that could be many months or forever.Be nice to go on a lower dose Doxy to find your comfort zone? and just let the duration be longer? Make sense?

09/19/2008 07:06 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

actually, my llmd says it should be fine to take natural stuff along with regular abx. just don't over do it on either, because cat claw can and likely will make you herx, as will doxy.

09/19/2008 09:46 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Jaime,

Good to know it's safe...I guess my thought is that if you're already Herx'ing, would you WANT to do both? No offense meant at all, and like I said, it's good to know it's safe to do, but I think I'd prefer to wait! LOL

Jen Wink

09/19/2008 10:20 AM
PegB

My 2 cents: I took Samento while on doxy. (My doc didn't have a problem with it.) I do think I herx'ed some, but I don't know that it was from the Samento, Doxy (was a smallish dose) or combination of both, but in any event, I didn't mind (mild) herxing as I felt it meant bacteria was being killed (yay!).

I'm now taking Biaxin with Samento (and other supplements), and I feel ok(ish)---you know all things considered---not well, but hopefully getting there.

09/19/2008 06:56 PM
denise17
denise17  

I agree with the general opinon that the herxing should be your guide. Stay on the doxy and if your body can handle the cat's claw take that to. You should'nt let yourself herx to hard. It is difficult for your body to handle that much die off. Do all the other things to help your body like eating right, getting sleep and taking supportive supplements.

Take care, Denise

09/19/2008 07:27 PM
krissy
krissy  

Oh my Thank you all so much for the info. I think I will stop the cats claw for now and just do the doxy. After about 6 weeks on doxy(120 pills) my LLMD will add Flagil to the doxy, skipping days only taking one or the other.

I don't know what else he has planned for me after that. I wish I could just go on IV antibiotics and knock this out quicker but I know its just NOT that easy. If it were we would all be banging down our LLMD's door begging for the IV. HAHA

Thank you all so much.

Krissy

10/08/2008 08:30 AM
hopeforhealing77

My experience with cat's claw (Samento - this is the same thing right?) was that I started on too much thinking 'a few extra drops wouldn't hurt'.... I should've listened to my doc when he said to start off very slowly. I was taking it also with an antibiotic as he told me to.It's amazing that just an extra couple of drops can be so powerful. It works, you just have to go slow and listen to your doctor. When he says start by taking one drop under your tounge in the am and another at night...it doesn't mean 5 drops!!Drink lots of water...that's always good. After all, when all the critters die off and other junk gets pulled out of your tissues, it has to go someplace. Flush it out with lots of water.

10/08/2008 09:00 AM
mict55
mict55  

I have just asked my LLMD about using Samento with antibiotics, (I go onto Flagyl this week,)and his comment was that he prefers regular Cat's Claw as he has seen too much Herxing on Samento without too much evidence of seeing cures.

As for amount I think letting your body be the guide is good advice, and I for one don't want to overburden my body right now!

Hope this can help,

Hugs,

ChrisWink

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved