MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/06/2008 07:54 PM

Is paranoia a symptom of Lyme Disease?

Wolfpack
Wolfpack  

Just noticed in another group that paranoia seemed to be a common thread. I'm serious. Is paranoia a symptom of Lyme or am I imagining it?

Wolfpack

09/07/2008 11:03 AM
Bonski
Bonski  

Just because you're imagining it doesn't mean it's not happening. lol

I think mental health can affected by Lyme Disease. I know I get a lot more ups and downs than I used to. Maybe it's just the stress of the situation though. Either way it affects a person.

09/07/2008 11:14 AM
buckron

Bonski wrote:

Just because you're imagining it doesn't mean it's not happening. lol

I think mental health can affected by Lyme Disease. I know I get a lot more ups and downs than I used to. Maybe it's just the stress of the situation though. Either way it affects a person.

I get nightmares a lot now and if i get disturbed like someone walks in the room i do a freak does that fit the paranoia thing?

09/07/2008 11:46 AM
Tickssuck

I get nightmares every night nowadays! Last night I had a horrible dream that there were worms, lots and lots of worms, coming out of my skin. I kept pulling and pulling and pulling and they just kept coming out. It was so vivid- disgusting! I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.

It's probably not paranoia but it's not nothing. And this never happend B.L. (before Lyme.)

Post edited by: Tickssuck, at: 09/07/2008 11:47

09/07/2008 12:29 PM
PegB

Paranoia? Paranoia?! Are you talking about me?!

LOL. Just joking around.

I agree it's probably people tired, hurting, frustrated, angry and just generally stressed out from this disease.

Plus, some people just are insecure and paranoid--quite naturally, I mean, "Lyme-sick" or not.

09/08/2008 04:44 PM
Gu3mom
Yindoll  

I believe firmly that all bodily systems are vulnerable to Lyme so mental processes can certainly be affected. Most of us have heard of, if not experienced, "brain fog". Anxiety, fitful sleep, depression, etc. are brain-based &/or related to brain function. (I think thyroid function/malfunction is another key to some of these issues.) From what I've read and from my personal experience, PTSD-like symptoms, i.e., paranoia, being easy to startle, fearful, tearful, reclusive, etc. are not uncommon to occur or be amplified. The good news is that we can hope for at least some temporary improvement during treatment.

09/08/2008 06:03 PM
ConnieD
ConnieD  

Paranoia? Oh, yes. I had those horrible nightmares,too (when I was sick). The nightmares were so disturbing that I could not go back to sleep at all. I would just get up at 1:30 in the morning and catch up on the laundry. It was just too scary to go back to sleep. One night I went and got in bed with one of the kids. Now, I know how they feel when they think there's a dinosaur in their room (that actually happened last night...the 4yo had a dinosaur dream and woke up the whole house)....so, I'm tired today.

Plus, I can identify with being easy to startle. It's like I was just living on the edge and I could fall off at any given moment.

Whew, I feel for those of you who are still struggling with these symptoms. I hope you all get the best medical care possible.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved