MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/30/2010 10:10 AM

Bartonella

billk1018

Several days ago it was suggested on the board that some of my symptoms may be more Bartonella than Lyme.

I did some brief research on Bartonella, but there just wasn't much out there. But one of the things that has always bothered me about my Lyme diagnosis was that muscle weakness is not listed on the ILADS symptom list.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence though. Seems lot's of people with Lyme have muscle weakness. I'm not suggesting I don't have Lyme. I have a CDC Positive Igenex. But I was negative for all Eastern Co-infections.

I do have achy calves, sometimes sore soles in the morning and muscle fatigue. Meaning, I can lift something heavy - once. Muscles rapidly reach the point of exaustion. Then I feel like crap for a few days.

Turns out my lovely, supportive wife has done some research on a yahoo group and came across "Bartonella Rage". That's me. I can fly off the handle in a split second. Seems I lose that "self edit" function and my reactions are way overblown.

Two weeks ago I dealt with an unreasonable customer by telling them to get the hell out of my shop and go see the idiots at Best Buy...

The more I learn about Bartonella the more I'm inclined to agree with the person on this board who suggested Bartonella. It would "perhaps" explain the rapid relapse off of Rocephin. It would also explain the hot flashes I have without fever. And it might explain the muscle weakness that comes and goes.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate some input from people who have had a definitive diagnosis of Bartonella. Perhaps some success stories?

05/30/2010 11:24 AM
billk1018

05/30/2010 03:06 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

There are something like 30 strains of bartonella, but the labs usually only test for 2.

Testing for co infections are just as tricky as lyme so a negative doesn't really mean much.

Speak to ur doctor. Bartonella is usually treated with the same drugs as lyme.

I got my best results on biaxin....I'm starting to get some symptoms back so its possible I needed a longer course

05/30/2010 04:24 PM
bjb0082
bjb0082  

Billk1018,

Make sure you talk with your new LLMD about your concern for bartonella, it seems it may be harder to get rid of than lyme.

05/30/2010 05:07 PM
billk1018

Thanks everyone.

If I can get over the Bart, if that's what this is, perhaps I can start exercising again and get some quality of life back. Then hopefully I can work on the Lyme.

New LLMD appointment is coming up soon, two weeks. I have high hopes with this guy.

Wish me luck...

Bill

05/30/2010 05:26 PM
Paschalltwin
Paschalltwin  

My doctor thought I may have had Lyme,but when I didn't repond to leviquin, he changed his mind. Any thoughts?

05/30/2010 05:39 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think with abx there are a lot of depending factors...certain classes of drugs work at certain times, some I also think depend on exactly which Borrelia strain you may have...

Additionally, other factors too...other infections - even a mild yeast infection can render abx useless...

Then other things such as diet are a factor too...

Have you tried Rifampin? It works for both Lyme and Bart...

Some just don't respond to certain drugs...and it may not be because of not having the disease - rather a multitude of factors...

My family (in NJ) LLMD had to do muscle testing on my sis - as when she first got hit hard, Rifampin was the best choice for her. 4 years later, when she relapsed hard, the only abx that worked with/for her, was tetracycline...

So our bodies change as we take this journey...and we have to find the right med that works best for us....

05/30/2010 06:50 PM
bjb0082
bjb0082  

Good luck billk1018 with your appt. Let us know how it goes.

05/30/2010 07:15 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Bill often with Bart we are considered Combative - so its like all reason just flys out the window...and yes, no filter...

Couple that with Lyme Rage - EESH!!! Which for me is Temper tantrum on overload...

By themselves they are aweful - together they are a disaster....

05/30/2010 08:32 PM
billk1018

This disease is like a trip through the Looking Glass...

...curiouser and curiouser

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved