MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/21/2010 05:37 PM

Lyme or cushings disease

lpadden

Was anyone first diagnosed with Cushings disease before being finally diagnosed with Lyme? thanks

05/22/2010 02:31 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

not me; up we go for day folks Smile

05/22/2010 05:55 AM
Sabado
Sabado  

No, I wasn't. But I was told that I had Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid arthritis and of course nothing wrong.

Here is just something I googled on Cushings:

What is Cushing's syndrome?

Cushing's syndrome is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body's tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol.

Sometimes called hypercortisolism, Cushing's syndrome is relatively rare and most commonly affects adults aged 20 to 50.

People who are obese and have type 2 diabetes, along with poorly controlled blood glucose—also called blood sugar—and high blood pressure, have an increased risk of developing the disorder.

What are the signs and symptoms of Cushing's syndrome?

Signs and symptoms of Cushing's syndrome vary,

but most people with the disorder have upper body obesity, a rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and relatively slender arms and legs.

Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other signs appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin, bruises easily, and heals poorly.

Purple or pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms, and breasts.

The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting, or rising from a chair may lead to backaches and rib or spinal column fractures.

Women with Cushing's syndrome usually have excess hair growth on their face, neck, chest, abdomen, and thighs.

Their menstrual periods may become irregular or stop.

Men may have decreased fertility with diminished or absent desire for sex and, sometimes, erectile dysfunction.

Other common signs and symptoms include

severe fatigue

weak muscles

high blood pressure

high blood glucose

increased thirst and

urination

irritability, anxiety, or depression

a fatty hump between the shoulders

Sometimes other conditions have many of the same signs as Cushing's syndrome,

even though people with these disorders do not have abnormally elevated cortisol levels.

For example, polycystic ovary syndrome can cause menstrual disturbances, weight gain beginning in adolescence, excess hair growth, and impaired insulin action and diabetes.

Metabolic syndrome—a combination of problems that includes excess weight around the waist,

high blood pressure, abnormal levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, and insulin resistance—also mimics the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome.

..>>>Remember Lyme Disease is the Great Imitator.

But you must have had high coritsol levels in your blood when they tested you.

You know that Lyme causes us to incurr other instances of illnesses. Are they still saying that you have cushings?

Much Love,

Sabado

05/22/2010 08:32 AM
blueyes7648

I have had pretty high cortisol levels, which lyme can cause I guess, an endo is having me do the midnight cortisol level and the 8 am and 4 pm cortisol blood test. Is there anything they can do to lower cortisol?

05/22/2010 10:22 AM
billk1018

The symptoms of Lyme and Cushings can overlap quite a bit. In the beginning I thought I had cortisone inducded Cushings. I have secondary Addisons and thought my endo put me on too much hydrocortisone. Turns out it was Lyme after all.

Exercise will use up some excess cortisone, but that's pretty hard to do when you have Lyme.

PM me and let me know where you live. I have a great edno if you're near me.

"fatty hump between the shoulders" one of the tell tale signs of Cushings along with a "Moon Face". But remember, Cushings is extremely rare... Addisons is much more common.

a.m. and p.m. cortisol tests aren't the best way to diagnose cushings. Levels fluctuate so much during the day. ACTH stim test is the best test...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved