MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/23/2009 12:03 AM

What to Eat with Lyme Disease?(page 3)

fraggles
fraggles  

HI guys.. I also have the nausea and vomiting.. my partner was convinved for years it was an eating disorder.. I found that avoiding sugary foods and wheat have lowered it considerably.. I can also definately confirm the hormonal cycle affects nearly all of my symtoms.. for example this month my walking and talking was worse for the 48 hours before and I also felt very sick and headachey.. I will try the milk thistle though, thanks for that recomendation.

07/23/2009 08:33 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

Mom pretty much summed it up for me...

I can handle the pains with the aid of lots of pain meds...doesn't take the pain away...Everything I do is still done with lots of pain but, as I have no choice, I can push through it using the old..."This too shall pass" thing.

I do find constant nausea very dehabilitating because you can't overcome that using mind over matter.

And there is always the joy of needing to be near a private bathroom...

I did try working, at least part-time. It just never lasted and my employers could only be so understanding before they could bend no more. And I always felt horrible when I had to call out or leave early, leaving my coworkers short-handed.

I hope you find some relief soon! Let me know how you are doing...Wink

07/25/2009 06:32 AM
jgal
jgal  

Dharma et al--I guess I've discovered why this site is so important! It's incredibly reassuring to find someone who is on the same, or similar, rung of the ladder.

I also find that the pain is manageable--it's been with me for so long, and I can at least still think. The nausea IS almost impossible to ignore--I had terrible morning sickness through both my pregnancies, but then I knew it had a purpose. With this, after a couple of weeks of pretty much constant vomiting, I have trouble remembering that it will pass.

I was a full time 5th grade teacher until December--that's an incredibly high intensity job, and it's been really disorienting to reconfigure my life and to realize that now, even on my best days, I can't make it more than a few hours without a serious nap. Any tips on coming to terms with limitations? Smile

God love you for being at home all day with a 2 year old! I conveniently waited until my youngest was in Kindergarten to get sick. I'm finding it exhausting just having them around all day this summer, and they're pretty self sufficient!

Thank you, for having this site and making it okay to talk.

07/26/2009 09:21 AM
lymiebird

Hello,

I learned last year that I've had Lyme since 1983. Tried all kinds of diets and stuff over the years, always hoping they'd make a difference. What I have settled on is to avoid ALL chemicals, including sprayed foods, all preservatives, all colourings, all artificial everything. Ditto in my home. NO CHEMICALS! Even one chemically de-caffed coffee will send my head into outerspace and make my head go into screeching hell. No… I don't eat out hardly ever. Removing all chemicals has been the best thing. Over time it helped a lot with the fatigue. Made me aware how much energy the body uses to try to eliminate the toxins. I eat only sprouted whole grain breads now too, and not a lot of them. They have gluten but I seem to be okay with that. Everyone is different but I think wheat bothers a lot of people, partly because it is such a mainstay in the No. American diet. I bloat if I eat regular whole wheat bread.

My diet consists mainly of organic fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, beans and grain and the good fats and oils, mainly olive, onion and garlic. And WATER. I eat a bit of fish and occasionally some locally grown natural lamb. And GARLIC. I eat loads of garlic – even go on garlic benders. It has antibiotic qualities. I started craving it years ago and have eaten ever since. My biggest downfall is cheese. I love it. I don't seem to feel any better if I avoid it so I eat itin limited amounts (easier said than done sometimes). I eat salad pretty well year round. I bake root veggies in winter. I preserve organic fruit for winter. Being less active, I need to eat less and have found sugar (which I avoided for nearly 40 years sneaking into my diet). Whereas I used to eat a whole sandwich I catch myself opting for a quick granola bar. I don't eat a lot of sugar tho, but am trying to watch and not let it creep into the house. I use a bit of pure maple syrup or honey once in a while. I read here that most say to avoid all sugars. Hmmm. I love fruit and miss it if I don't have it.

I think a person is best to find what works best for them. It's a big job testing to see what foods are okay and what aren't. I learned soy and I don't mix. Everyone is different. Finding a healthy allergy/sensitivity free diet and sticking with it is the best. E.g. if avoiding fruit makes me unhappy, then why not eat a bit of fruit? Perhaps the sugars feed the critters. If you are on antibiotics (I,m not) then by all means avoid all sugars. They feed the yeast overgrowth that's caused by the antibiotics.

I cut out the junk foods in my early 20s. I missed them at first and now they disgust me… other than the occasional potato, rice or corn chips. You couldn't feed me a Big Mac for anything. Yuk. I love dark chocolate but it is a treat. One think I know for sure: if you eat crap you will feel like crap.

Best wishes in your dietary challenge. You need to find what works best for you. we are all so different. You might look into the blood type diet idea. I was surprised when I read it, how I had by nature either avoided or removed the foods it said I should avoid.

And water: you need to drink loads of water. Take weight in pounds, divide by 2. That's how many ounces your body needs every day just to function properly. Don't count caffeine or alcohol either. Alcohol is bad anyway. If it's hot or you sweat a lot, you need more. most people are dehydrated. Water is rarely mentioned in diets and yet it is the first an most critical thing.

Lymiebird

12/02/2009 04:08 AM
stase
stase  

What kind of groats can you eat? can you eat buckwheat ?

Post edited by: stase, at: 12/02/2009 04:13 AM

03/25/2010 11:49 PM
larae
larae  

Post edited by: larae, at: 07/12/2010 11:00 PM

04/28/2012 02:08 PM
mem2416

I am having the same problem. It's so frustrating! I just want some comfort food. I haven't tried this recipe, however I'm trying it today. It sounds good, and I want something warm. I know you might be too ill to make it, as am I sometimes, but todays a good day and I want something tasty. I'll make more and save it in the fridge for later when im not feeling like cooking.

Vegetarian chili

Ingredients

2-3 cans dark red kidney beans (drained)

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 onions, chopped

2 green peppers, chopped

2-3 T olive oil

1 28-oz can whole tomatoes

3-4 cloves garlic

3-4 T chili powder

2-3 T cumin

1-2 T fresh parsley

2-3 T oregano

1 1/2 cups of water

1 cup cashews

1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Heat oil in large pot; saute onions until clear, then add celery, green pepper, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or so. Add tomatoes (with juice; break the tomatoes into small chunks) and kidney beans; reduce to simmer. Add chili powder, cumin, parsley, oregano, water, cashews, and raisins (opt.) Simmer as long as you want. Garnish with fresh parsley or grated cheddar cheese (if you like cheese, try goat, which is easier to digest).

04/28/2012 05:16 PM
Jungleland
Jungleland  

yummy, sounds good. Wonder if u could make that in a crock pot?

04/30/2012 06:48 PM
mem2416

ALSO I found gluten free veggie burgers today that heat in the microwave in a minute. Theyre great with no bun. I also got sugar free, gluten free, dairy free ranch dressing that tastes amazing. I put chicken and nuts and vegetables on my salad and top it with my ranch.

Also there are good low sodium soups that are nice on a cold day.

And gluten free crackers.

Gluten free pasta

dairy free cheese and milk.

If you need any specifics, let me know. All of that is all reasonably priced and found at Kroger. Those are some quick things I found good, and also boil corn and eat it plain, that's always warm and delicious.

I have 2 cookbooks of wheat free, dairy free, and gluten free recipes too. Let me know what you're interested in. Id be glad to help!

04/30/2012 07:32 PM
littlegirlbigdream
littlegirlbigdream  

What brand is the ranch that you are talking about?

I live in Canada and so if I want gluten free stuff that is alread packaged there is very little selction, so I choose things that are in the lyme diet naturally.

There is so much more stuff down in the states it is getting better though up here, so yeah what brand is the Ranch dressing?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved