MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/30/2010 11:25 AM

EMG and Nerve conduction study question...

erin2g

Right before (days)I got the first positive Lyme results my neurologist did a electromyography and nerve conduction study. He thought I had Myasthenia Gravis after looking it up I was convinced too, every symptom listed but also had many,many more.

~

BUT the 2 tests came out fine!! How??? my muscles twitched, cramped and got weak, and so on. (He at that point gave me an antidepressant and said it may be anxiety)Walking out of the office confused.

~

Even more now that 2 positive tests later HOW can the NCS and EMG come out normal if my muscles and nerves are effected???? How accurate is that test?

~

I was called by the neurologist, because the Infectious Disease MD called him to have me have a new MRI and spinal tap ASAP.

~

Here is another question, Isn't that to see how much nerve damage there is now?? I gave a front and back page of current ongoing symptoms to ID MD and just about begged him to help me when I saw him.

~

HOW can the NCS and EMG come out normal if my muscles and nerves are effected????

04/30/2010 12:14 PM
WhitbyLyme
WhitbyLymePosts: 60

From what I know and have been told by doctors is that the EMG is a reliable test and will rule out other diseases along with clinical findings.

You should be happy that the EMG came back normal. Im not sure exactly how Lyme makes muscles twitch and tremble but my LLMD told me to have a Neurological Disease along with Lyme is rare.

Im going for my EMG soon, im praying that it comes back normal and I have been twitching for 2 years.

04/30/2010 01:30 PM
erin2g

Oh, don't get me wrong, not unhappy about it. I an confused, I thought since it effected the nerve functions as twitching, fatigued muscles, ringing in ears and so on.

~

How would nerve testing come back normal if the person is experiencing these things. It seems that yes they can rule other things out too.

~

But as MS patients were misdiagnosed and actually had Lyme. I guess I was looking how the nerves are physically effected, or are they.

04/30/2010 03:05 PM
WhitbyLyme
WhitbyLymePosts: 60

Thats a good question and I would like to know the answer as well.

Is the bacteria affecting the signals in the brain or is the bacteria in the muscles making them twitch?

04/30/2010 03:46 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

IDK - I think it goes back to chemical deficiencies that this disease initially causes...

Lacking in things like magnesium, potassium, calcium, aceytycholine (the neurotransmitter that stimulates your muscles to work), and Flavinoids (Hesperidin, Citrin, Rutin, Flavones, Flavonals, Calechin and Quercetin) these are found to come with Vit C...

Now these have direct connection to causing muscle issues...cramping being a biggie - but I have noticed that the nerve pain decreases with the addition of some of these things...at least for me...

I also think it has to do with how the illness has corrupted our systems...our Automnic Nervous systems are TOTALLY thrown off balance...so the signals we are receiving are jumbled and down right incorrect at times...

When the balance between the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic nervous systems is disrupted as often happens with chronic pain - our nerves start sending all sorts of false signals...

Combine with lacking nutrients and such - makes for a sloppy soup...tons and tons of problems...

Eventually over time, these things can become "real" not that they werent before - but by this I mean causing real damage and changes...

You have to learn all of the possible reasons that this could be happening - the docs dont often think of it - and try to pass us off...

Always have your doc run complete blood panels to check for vital nutrient deficiencies...

I know that after years of having the same thing going on...

Had an one of those tests done several times...EMG? Is that the one they stick little needles in various area and run electricity through it? Anyway had that one once...I was SCREAMING in pain, and when the guy when to take the needles out - they were stuck...But NOTHING at all was wrong with me...

Years later, had it or a similar one done again by my pain doc...and she was able to see that I was developing nerve damage....

So, all my docs agree clinically that I have neuropathy...so now I work on fixing that.

You can take supplements to protect your nerves...B12 and B Complex (multiple B vitamins - Riboflavin and Thiamin are important) can help to protect the nerves...Gaba too...Milk Thistle plays a role in there too...I forget exactly how...And the B vitamins are best in Sublingual form for this particular purpose...

Christine

Oh - Aceytycholine can be supplemented by adding Mustard and/or Pickle Juice to your diet - just a couple of tsp a few times a day...

Apple Cider Vinegar can add potassium

Calcium can come in many ways - but from food is always best - add some Kale to your salads - doesnt taste the best - but it is extremely high in cal - if you have veggie reptiles vets and pet stores will/should tell you to get kale for them because it is SO high in calcium...

Post edited by: cmany, at: 04/30/2010 03:51 PM

04/30/2010 04:33 PM
erin2g

My V B-12 was 281 ( 211-911) and folic acid low side of normal. But all others were normal to high side of normal.

~

I now take b-12 2500 mcg a day, CO Q-10 100 mg a day, fish oil 870 mg, 500 mg V-c a day, doxycycline 100 mg 2x day, levothyroxine 75 mcg a day, metoprolol 50 2x day ( for PCVs)

~

I noticed my cardiac c-Reactive Protein- 8.6 ref( 0-3.0)

* DR wants me to start 2x325 Aspirin a day to bring my Thyroid antibody down too high for too long TPO 1000 (0-34) THAT seems like too much aspirin.

~

**What else should I add????** Milk Thistle and B complex I heard about apple viniger for several things should be good.

05/01/2010 01:38 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

DO NOT HAVE A SPINAL TAP DONE! very painful; will leave you with migraines for days up to a week!

this has been said by everyone who went thru them. good luck!

05/01/2010 06:39 AM
jsher

I relate to youlike you can't imagine!! I had the EMG -very painful and guess what? it was normal.

Then the neuro had me go for MRIS (two) brain and cervical with contract and they should'd lesions.

I had my blood drawn TWELVE times - no vitamin or mineral deficiencies of any kind....by hey guess what? I tested positive for lyme!!

The neuro still insisted and I went through the "joy" of a spinal tap. Which was (of course) inconclusive for anything. except that I had an "infection".

all of this was done to me even though I had already tested POSITIVE for Lyme. and guess what....

The neuros (two of them) said "it can't be the lyme, you have MS!!!!!"

I finally found an exceptional LLMD and have been on antibiotics for 4 months. my neuro symptoms (tingling in my legs) have yet to resolve....

What do I do know? I haven't a clue.

good luck to you, I send you nothing but good thoughts!!

05/02/2010 06:58 AM
lindaca

I was tested for Myasthenia Gravis, Multiple Myeloma, MS, and who knows what else by a neuro. He ruled out the MG and MM, and then when the lyme test came back CDC-positive said that it can't be the lyme, so it must be MS.

Nerve conduction studies at the time came back normal as well, not sure if they'd be normal now though. My symptoms are similar to MS, but do not fit into the regular MS pattern. Still, he wanted to slap the MS diagnosis on it and have me start daily Copaxone injections. I refused, am now on meds with an LLMD.

05/02/2010 03:38 PM
erin2g

It is weird that it is hard for them to admit to Lyme. I am going to ask my neuro why when I see him and explain all of this.

~

I read some great info I think university of Columbia-Lyme that said something about inflammation in the nervous system causing these symptoms.

~

edited* the site is http://www.columbia-lyme.org/index.html

~

The terms are easy to understand, and explains alot.

Post edited by: erin2g, at: 05/03/2010 07:51 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved