MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2010 09:52 AM

Short term diability denied

Moorehh

I have been going to a llmd in Fairfax, VA and am being treated for lyme with Omnicef and Zithromax.

The md did not think it was necessary for me to do the igenex test since the western blot from Labcorp showed enough bands for her to see that lyme bacteria is present.

The Labcorp test was covered by insurance and igenex is not.

My STD inurance co, UNUM, approved the first 4 weeks to be off from work, but they have now denied the claim for the next 4 weeks.

They are stating that I do not have lyme (probably because the western blot is not positive as far as CDC is concerned) and all of my symptoms are just told by me and can not be proven by the labs the md has given them.

I have been off 2 weeks and are into my 3rd week which now will have to be covered by my vacation leave instead of STD.

How would you guys proceed with the appeal to UNUM?

I guess i could go ahead and do the Igenex test but that takes 2-3 weeks for the results. I am pretty sure I do not have any of the co-infections.

I am also scheduled for Neure Pshycological testing tomorrow. I am hopeful that the test will show something that can help UNUM.

04/27/2010 11:12 AM
diaba

Even though I have a confirmed ms diagnosis, and "probable" lyme diagnosis, my Md used my primary disabling symptom chronic fatigue to get approval. They don't care that I have ms, just what symptom prevents me from working. Maybe your md could approach it from that angle?

Take care, diana

04/27/2010 01:34 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Thats good advice diaba..REgardless of whats going on with me extra curricularly the fatigue debilitates me first.

04/28/2010 02:11 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

unum is the worst to work with; i've read this over and over the years!

join site isinissues

disability insurance issues; you will learn alot there; use goodsearch.com to find it

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved