MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2010 07:42 AM

Thyroid- Low Total T3 level

shorelinelyme
shorelinelymePosts: 1252

I received my latest labs for my Thyroid- and in the past year of having lyme my total T3 level has gone from 130 to 72 (range is 76-181)

All of the other numbers are normal, ratios are normal...so LLMD isn't overly concerned at this point...

My naturopath is running this test again today. I'm not sure if I need to see an endocrinologist or start supplementing iodine or T3 or what...

I'm also wondering if this is related to the increase in head symptoms I have experienced lately...

Has anyone had this happen with Lyme?

Thanks!!!

Jackie

Post edited by: shorelinelyme, at: 04/26/2010 07:43 AM

04/26/2010 10:34 AM
smoxito
smoxitoPosts: 512

I had a slightly elevated TSH last year and did nothing about it. I am currently waiting on my current thyroid tests so I'll let you know what happens.

If your TSH is above 3 (some say even above 2.5) it may be subclinical hypothyroidism causing or aggravating some of your symptoms. Lyme Disease and thyroid problems are certainly linked.

04/26/2010 12:47 PM
LaxMom

Hmmm...my TSH last month was .67 and considered within "normal" range. Dr.s usually go by the labs "normal" range which can vary depending on lab. BTW, you would think I was a stick, NOT! I spoke with a naturalist about symptoms (severe hair loss, can't lose the weight no matter what and a couple fo other items) and I increased my biotin and am taking an enzymatic prodcut that helps the thyroid at her direction. If you are taking a multi vitamin and eating healthy you should be getting enough idodine.

04/26/2010 01:19 PM
shorelinelyme
shorelinelymePosts: 1252

Amanda,

Here were the other results:

TSH- 1.58

T3, Free - 288

T3 Reverse - 25

T4, Free -1.0

So, I'm not sure why the T3 Total plummeted the way it did....but I'm sure it has to do with the Lyme!!!!

Now, I'm just waiting for the Naturopath's bloodwork to come back- since this was done about 1 month ago.

Thanks so much for your input!! (This thyroid stuff is new to me)

Jackie

04/26/2010 01:51 PM
zoemajik
zoemajik  

When I was first diagnosed with Lyme, I went to urgent care to get bloodwork because I thought my symptoms were from a thyroid problem. I was LUCKY enough to get a doc who had experience with Lyme, and he ordered a WB - and despite the fact that the LabCorp said I was negative, he gave me abx and told me to find out what I could about Lyme. Which led me here. However, he subscribed to the old standards of measuring thyroid levels, and did not put me on medication for it.

My TSH had bounced around from 1.5 to over 14 ... it was my LLMD who first put me on thyroid. You can get natural thyroid or synthetic.

It has stabilized my levels and stopped me from gaining weight (I'm now losing, deliberately! lol), low body temp, weird hair growth, daily headaches, etc. I was still tired, but assumed that was the Lyme talking. Took awhile in treatment with abx and supplements to get more energy and get my metabolism back into gear.

I'm not sure what my T3 was. LLMD said he's seen a lot of Lyme + thyroid issues.

04/26/2010 06:52 PM
feellikecrud

I want to ask u about the thyroid. I am burning up all year long even in winter and Im in NY. no heat in my bed room I wear a t-shirt with only a sheet. And my window open.The min. it starts to warm up I get sicker. Could this be a thyroid problem? I have also gained weight.

04/27/2010 09:26 AM
zoemajik
zoemajik  

It's worth a test! It could be quite a few things, though - or the Lyme.

I felt like that before I treated my babesia - it could be a symptom of a co-infection. Also normally had a low body temp, so even a slight increase in that would make me feel feverish.

08/01/2010 09:35 AM
Duchess71
Duchess71  

I don't know my numbers but my LLMD put me on Liothyronine in addition to the Synthroid I am on. He said I wasn't converting properly and the numbers were off.

Good luck!

08/01/2010 02:47 PM
steelers

interesting in all this time i never had my t3 levels checked.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved