MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/31/2008 07:28 AM

IBS Spasms caused by Lyme?

auntkaytee
auntkaytee  

Has anyone experienced severe rectal spasms. The best way to describe them for women is when you do the Kegal exercise you can feel the muscles that go into spasm. There is no warning no food link that I can figure out and crippling, can't move pain. Lasting 30 - 60 minutes.

07/31/2008 08:08 AM
organictexan
organictexan  

I've had IBS since 1992 and have never experienced that. However a lady that I work with had something similar recently, had to be taken by ambulance to the ER. She described the same pain and felt more comfortable sitting and her torso bent forward, it was painful to straighten up. They have attributed hers to a cyst on her ovary.

07/31/2008 08:27 AM
auntkaytee
auntkaytee  

My problem is that I have to parts. I had to have a complete hysterectomy due to pelvic congestion syndrome. So it has to be intestinal.

07/31/2008 09:03 AM
organictexan
organictexan  

I'm also thinking it could be caused by adhesions/scar tissue from your surgery. Have you ever had myofascial release massage therapy? It can help IBS/stomach pain especially when the fascia is restricted. Sometimes there are deep trigger points in the stomach and abdominal areas, that can be painful to have worked on but it does help. Also found this article, unsure about their suggestions for a solution?

Rectal spasms

Date updated: May 25, 2007

Jeannette Curtis; Caroline Rea, RN, BS, MS

Content provided by Healthwise

Rectal spasms (proctalgia fugax) can cause pain in the rectum. The cause of the spasms is unknown. Most people who have rectal spasms have episodes of sharp pain or severe cramps that last from several seconds to several minutes. The episodes may occur several times a year.

Both men and women can be affected. It is uncommon in children before the age of puberty. People with abdominal problems, such as peptic ulcer disease or irritable bowel syndrome, are more likely to have rectal spasms.

Other symptoms that may occur with the spasms are nausea, sweating, and feeling restless when the pain is present.

Treating rectal spasms is not easy to do, because most spasms don't last long enough for any treatment to work. Some people find relief by pushing on the anal area with their hand or by sitting across (straddling) something like the edge of the bathtub or a bike seat. Soaking in a warm bath may help, but usually the pain goes away before the bathtub is filled. If you have severe spasms, talk to your doctor.

07/31/2008 09:25 AM
lymemd

Lyme can affect bowel and gallbladder. Asacol may help. Many people have gluten sensitivity. The celiac test that most doctors order is not sensitive enough. Look up enterolabs. They a do a stool test. All you need is the cheapest anti-gliadin antibody test. If there is a gallbladder issue the sonogram is usually normal. You need a CCK HIDA scan. IBS is frequently associated with an organic cause which is overlooked by standarnd medical procedures. Adhesions are a common cause of these symptoms if you have had any Gyn surgery. Unfortunatly the only diagnostic test is laparoscopy. Consider this when everything else has been ruled out.

07/31/2008 11:01 AM
auntkaytee
auntkaytee  

Thank you organictexan and lymemed for your reply's. It's good to know that it can happen. My case sounds like the article posted. I agree about the adhesions, just had not thought about that. I have had several abdominal surgery's including my gallbladder removed. I am sure it is just a grin and bear it until is passes. Thanks again.

07/31/2008 12:20 PM
organictexan
organictexan  

This would explain why my Celiac test was negative as it was only the blood test. I've often thought that I had a sensitivity to wheat but was never sure. Thanks all!

08/03/2008 07:40 PM
ldsucs
ldsucs  

I have the same problem as organictexan. My tummy is huge!

I too have suspected a gluten issue but I don't eat any meat or fish...what could I eat???

04/23/2013 08:56 PM
Tazzie23

I have had horrible gas cramping and diareha for two days now. My stomach goes into spasms and then I cry while I am trying to go potty. It happens 30 min after I eat, anything. I'm in so much pain. I don't know what to do, or why?

I eat the same foods and I'm on Lyme disease medicine with no side effects.

What do toe should I go see for this? I e seen a GI and they weren't any help

04/24/2013 12:54 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved