MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/15/2010 09:22 AM

Do Natural antibiotics not cause yeast overgrowth?

honey158

I am getting yeast overgrowth in different areas. If I switch to natural antibiotics will this stop the yeast overgrowth which my current antibiotics are causing?

Or will it continue - are all antibiotics created equal in regard to causing yeast overgrowth?

03/15/2010 11:26 AM
smoxito
smoxitoPosts: 512

Natural antibiotics tend to be more narrow-spectrum unlike broad-spectrum which kill mostly everything. So you will definitely not have the same scale of yeast issues with naturals.

You may or may not have yeast issues with naturals. It will be easier to keep the yeast at bay and you have a lower chance of developing issues.

Broad spectrum antibiotics will cause more problems than narrow spectrum antibiotics. You won't really have much choice with the Lyme disease I'm afraid.

If you are having yeast problems you can't control, it might be prudent to take a break from abx and get rid of the yeast before you continue. You can take a natural abx to keep the Lyme at bay until you restart or go the CAM (Complementary & Alternative Medicine) approach entirely.

I certainly have had more luck eradicating yeast with the CAM approach. I, personally, would want a couple months of conventional abx in me to get a head start on the Lyme before doing the natural approach.

03/15/2010 12:14 PM
honey158

Is the CAM approach the Dr. Zhang protocol? My lyme dr talked about treating with Chinese Herbs but I elected to go the antiobiotic approach. I have been on them for 2 months now and I am a bit better except for my morning stiffness, but really on the mend.

Do you think if I switch to Chinese Herbs I will be able to continue getting better or should I suffer with the yeast?

03/15/2010 12:20 PM
smoxito
smoxitoPosts: 512

CAM covers a wide variety of alternatives (TCM, herbals, native medicine, ayurveda, homeopathy, etc.) including Dr. Zhang protocol.

I am going to be treated with TCM so I hope Chinese herbs work Wink The TCM practitioner I will be going to has a lot of success in healing chronic Lyme Disease so I am confident that it will work.

You can always add back in abx if you feel that it is necessary or slowly wean yourself off of them. I would not suffer with the yeast. You won't get better with a systemic yeast infection.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved