MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/02/2010 05:23 AM

I am CDC positive

tseal

Hello everyone,

Add me to the ranks. I got my Igenex results back yesterday and my IgM Western Blot was positive for bands 39 and 41. My IgG was +++ for 41 and IND for 39.

My LLMD has prescribed 100mg of Doxycycline for three months, doing another blood test for co-infections and has ordered an MRI. Does this sound typical?

03/02/2010 11:44 AM
waxby
waxbyPosts: 4811
VIP Member

~~~Hello Theresa.

~~~Do you mean does this sound typical about prescribing ONLY 100mg doxy?

~~~Not to mention the MRI which may be just a wasted unecessary exposure to x-rays.And IF lesions are found,which can be from the Lyme and not MS what will he/she do, put you on anti-inflamatories/steroids which are a Lyme no-no and will only exacerbate the Lyme?

~~~How about questioning your Dr or switching to another one.Does this sound typical?

`````~~~Mitchell~~~

03/02/2010 12:24 PM
waxby
waxbyPosts: 4811
VIP Member

~~~And,I might add Theresa,how long has this LLMD been an LLMD?

~~~I am beginning to wonder if the lack of LLMDs in the past and fighting for more coverage is beginning to backfire.

~~~Judging by the fees charged by these "LLMDs" I am also beginning to wonder about their motives.

~~~It's beginning to be quite a lucrative buisiness being that we Lymies are stuck between a rock and a hard tickbite.And we are lined up on their waiting lists.Insurance companies don't want to pay and we have no choice if we can even find the money.

~~~Do we now need to begin to fight for fairness and honesty and Drs motivations?Or am I just ranting?

```````~~~Mitchell~~~

03/02/2010 02:08 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

theresa, congrats on being COUNTING ON CDC STATISTICS for your state.

i would followup with your state's health dept. to make SURE YOU ARE COUNTED; for some reasons; many of us are not! no consistency in all 50 states.

100 mg doxy for 3 months is VERY LOW! print off dr. burrasacan's lyme treatment guideliens in my welcome letter or go to TREATMENTS OR LYME FACTS; it should be in both places i think.

3 months is a good start though; dosage is questionable in my NON-MEDICAL opinion.

i read your profile; interesting; would you edit the 1 really long paragraph there? i could not read it all and i would like to if possible.

that's what 40 yrs. of chronic neuro lyme does to folks like me. Smile big thanks for your consideration.

did you get penn llmds from me, jaime, or christine?

03/02/2010 02:26 PM
happymom3

hi there and welcome. what is the mri for. i was told and ihave read that the spec scan is the preferable test for seeing how lyme has affected the brain-is the mri of the brain

03/02/2010 03:05 PM
tseal

Having a bad day today. Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I was wrong about the dosage. He has me taking 200mgs of doxy a day for three months.

I think he prescribed the MRI because I have moderate to severe headaches everyday. I will call him tomorrow and ask about it.

03/02/2010 03:53 PM
smoxito
smoxitoPosts: 512

MRI & SPECT scan are both used to see the ways Lyme affects the brain. A very simplistic explanation is: MRI is used to look at structure & SPECT is used to look at function.

They are both very useful diagnostic tools. It depends on what your particular physician is looking for as to what he/she prescribes. It's not necessarily a preference for one or the other.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion Smile

03/02/2010 06:06 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Also they may be looking to rule out any other things in the brain. Never hurts to make sure.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved