MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/24/2010 03:20 AM

Waking up with swollen face and hands

Sabado
Sabado  

For the last couple of days, I have been waking with a swollen face, and hands.

I am not sure what is causing this.

My nose is even swollen.

I am wondering if this is a build up of toxins in my system or something.

I would just like to know if anyone else is having this happen to them.

The majority of the swelling goes down awhile after waking but there is still swelling under my eyes--bags if you will.

Is this something related to my lyme?

I have never had bags under my eyes before. Is this something that I should mention to my doctor when I go in a week?

Any input on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sabado

01/24/2010 05:09 AM
Tennesseemom7
Tennesseemom7  

Hello,

I also have a swollen face sometimes when I wake up. Usually it takes half the day for it to go down. Mine is mostly my eye lids that get the worst.

I am not sure what this is caused by, but I do know this started when the whole Lyme mess started.

Wish I had some knowledge for you, I would like to know what this could be caused by too....

The only thing I can think of is an alergic reaction....With mine those it is very random, once a week or every 2 weeks..

Post edited by: Tennesseemom7, at: 01/24/2010 05:13 AM

01/24/2010 05:50 AM
kristielyme25
kristielyme25  

Toxins could very well be the cause of your swelling. When these toxins come into contact with your tissues and other hormones, etc, they sometimes cause histamine to be produced, which causes swelling.

What kind of treatment are you doing? Are you doing some detox? Detoxing is one of the best ways to reduce herx reactions and buildup of toxins in the body. There are many good detoxifying techniques. I bought an at home infrared sauna for detox and I am in love with it! It seems to minimize my herxing, and since I have been using it, some of the inflammation in my body has gone down.

I hear epsom salt baths work as well as other things. You should do a search on here for detox...there are many good suggestions!

I would mention this to your doc during your visit...he might have some good insights on what you could do to help!

Hope this helps a little...I am super foggy today! Wink

01/24/2010 08:40 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

I would be pretty secure in saying it is probably lyme related. I have been infected since I was a child and just found out recently....but I remember many times waking up with my eyes just about swollen shut...Nose swollen and hands etc....

It wasn't all the time but I was just a teen when I noticed this...It happens periodically for me and I can't connect it to anything in particular that I've done or eaten...

It usually goes away in time and then visits again some months later.

01/24/2010 01:01 PM
smoxito
smoxitoPosts: 512

Bring it up with your doc. There are many reasons why this could be occurring. Try propping yourself up on a couple pillows while you sleep and see if that helps.

01/25/2010 04:47 AM
Sabado
Sabado  

Thank you for all the information that you all shared with me. See, that is why this is such a great site. I think that I will look into the detoxing....

Thanks again all

06/17/2012 09:09 AM
StuckinTN
StuckinTN  

This is a really late post, but I just found your question by Googling "Swollen eyes+Lyme Disease." Mine are really bad today.

I was thinking it might be related to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, or other thyroid problems. These cause puffyness around the eyes, and lots of Lymies have thyroid problems. Hope you are well by now!

06/17/2012 11:41 AM
evelinawill
evelinawill  

Never woke up with a swollen face, mine is exactly the opposite, whereas I loose weight and my face is thinner, but my eyes are swollen sometimes.

Like stuckinTN says it's probably related to Thyroiditis or sinus infections, that might be also triggered by Lyme.

06/17/2012 03:05 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi stuckin,

did you click on sabato's name/photo; shows a very detailed health history there.

i see she's not been on the board for about 2 months now; so it may be a long time before she replies.

last time she/i talked, she was working 3 JOBS!

bettyg, iowa activist

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved