MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/13/2010 08:41 AM

Glutathione anyone?

ladio30
ladio30  

Just wondering if anyone takes this as a supplement and if so, what kind, where to get it and exact name/brand and how much?

01/13/2010 08:52 AM
ladio30
ladio30  

oh and I don't mean how much does it cost, I mean how much of a dose. Wink

01/13/2010 08:59 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

I've never heard of this as a supplement...what's it for?

01/13/2010 11:14 AM
ladio30
ladio30  

Glutathione is the most important detoxifying agent in the body to get rid of undesirable toxins such as BLPs produced by borrelia. It forms a soluble compound with the toxin that can then be excreted through the urine or the gut. The liver and kidneys contain high levels of glutathione as they have the greatest exposure to toxins. The lungs are also rich in glutathione partly for the same reason. Glutathione is a small molecule found in almost every cell. It cannot enter most cells directly. Instead glutathione must be synthesized inside the cell from its three constituent amino acids: glycine, glutamate and cysteine. The rate at which glutathione can be made depends on the availability of cysteine, which is relatively scarce in foodstuffs. Furthermore, the cysteine molecule has a sulfur-containing portion which gives the whole glutathione molecule its ‘biochemical activity', i.e. its ability to carry out its vitally important functions. Glutathione is the major antioxidant produced by the cell, protecting it from ‘free radicals' (‘oxygen radicals', ‘oxyradicals'). These highly reactive substances, if left unchecked, will damage or destroy key cell components (e.g. membranes, DNA) in microseconds. Oxyradicals are generated in the many thousand mitochondria located inside each cell, where nutrients like glucose are burnt using oxygen to make energy. (Mitochondria can be thought of as the batteries that provide the power for the cells to operate). High levels of oxyradicals are also generated from inflammation or immune dysfunctions such as in chronic LD.

Thus, glutathione is required in many of the intricate steps needed to carry out an immune response. For example, it is needed for the lymphocytes to multiply in order to develop a strong immune response, and for ‘killer' lymphocytes to be able to kill undesirable cells such as cancer cells or virally infected cells. The importance of glutathione cannot be overstated. It has multiple roles as indicated and, indeed, as one examines each system or organ more closely, the necessity for glutathione becomes increasingly evident. Glutathione values decline with chronic disease and age. Higher values in older people are seen to correlate with better health, underscoring the importance of this remarkable substance for maintaining a healthy, well-functioning body.

Taken from here http://autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/

01/13/2010 12:16 PM
Tennesseemom7
Tennesseemom7  

I am not on this yet, but my doc ran a test for it Monday..

01/13/2010 12:28 PM
FSUfan
FSUfanPosts: 156

My Dr. will give it in IV form. Never took it myself though.

01/13/2010 12:31 PM
steelers

I took it iv and powder form works great to clear out the toxins

01/13/2010 01:04 PM
lflower
lflower  

My LLMD thinks that the Glutathione has helped me, but so much is going on, and I've taken so much stuff, I can't tell. It is expensive though. 88 bucks a bottle. I mix a teaspoon in a small glass of water and bottoms up. Takes like grapefruit a bit.

01/13/2010 01:07 PM
lflower
lflower  

I take Readisorb L Glutathione. www.readisorb.com I think it makes my nose more mucousy. When I pinch my nose, my nostrils stick down.

01/13/2010 08:18 PM
ladio30
ladio30  

I emailed them asking if they deliver to Canada. There response was only to ask me who told me to take it and where have I bought it from in the past(which I haven't..lol)

Post edited by: ladio30, at: 01/14/2010 01:22 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved