MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/30/2009 04:19 PM

lyme vs. ms

knzie

I have been suffering a variety of symptoms for the past 2 years - dizziness, muscle weakness, muscle pain, difficulty concentrating, general "fugginess," odd reaction to alcohol, joint pain, diarrhea, just to name a few.

I had a MRI which revealed 20+ small lesions in the brain and 6 small lesions in the spine. I had a spinal tap that revealed oligoclonal banding.

Though I don't recall a bite, I worked for a number of years in a tick-infested area and a number of former co-workers have been diagnosed with lyme. I insisted on an igenex test, which revealed the following:

IGM - Igenex Positive; CDC Negative

**31 kDa IND

**34 kDa +

**39 kDa IND

**41 kDa +++

**83-93 kDa IND

IGG - Negative

**31 kDa IND

**34 kDa IND

**39 kDa IND

**41 kDa +++

58 kDa +

**83-93 kDa IND

My doctor admits she does not know how to read these results. My neuro has dismissed lyme (even before the igenex results were received) and is convinced I have MS.

I don't know whether these results are significant enough to suggest lyme. Any thoughts or recommendations on how to proceed would be MUCH appreciated.

12/30/2009 05:12 PM
kristielyme25
kristielyme25  

This is lyme...anything Igenex positive is just that: POSITIVE! You should seek out a LLMD, or see if your doc is willing to treat the lyme like it needs to be.

Good luck and I hope you can start treatment and start feeling better soon!

12/30/2009 07:32 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Hi and welcome.

An LLMD would take an IND as positive. You just arent cdc positive. Please PM (private message) Jaime for a list of LLMD. Tell her your state and location and how far you can travel.

I was diagnosed with MS also. I opted not to take meds and Im happy I didnt.

9 years later I found out it was Lyme.I had all the same symptoms as you. I urge you to get an LLMD and have them evaluate you before allowing any one to put you on MS meds.

PM me if you need anything

Carol

12/31/2009 01:51 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

welcome Smile

brain lesions are present for LYME too; ms/lyme lesions are hard to differentiate.

you have lyme disease. you just didn't have ENOUGH POSITIVE NUMBERS to meet cdc's strict criteria to be positive. if you're cdc positive, YOU ARE COUNTED IN LYME STATISTICS nationwide.

the way it is now; you are positive, but NOT COUNTED; crappy right?

read this post which explains the western blot nos. in detail and other good info.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/tips/1092391-missouri-drcs-western-blot-explanations- of-nos

what are the largest cities and state you live in that are closest to you? please send me or jaime a private message, and we'll send you llmd names ok. Smile

12/31/2009 04:16 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Oh my gosh, YES that is positive. Please send me a pm and let me know your state and neighboring states you can travel to and I can get a list of lyme docs for you.

Mainstream docs are rather clueless about lyme disease, not knowing how to read the tests, unreliable tests, not sure how to treat it, basically keeping us in limbo for years.

It isn't uncommon for lymies to have lesions, so I wouldn't pursue MS as of yet, because the treatment for MS and lyme differ hugely and with MS they often treat with steroids which is a HUGE no no for lymies. It basically shuts down your immune system giving free reign to the bacteria. In fact, headaches alone can cause lesions.

Check out our lyme fact section, we've got tons of great info in there. Print out the lyme symptoms list I have there, mark the ones you have or have ever had.

pm me, and we'll get you started

jaime

12/31/2009 08:47 AM
knzie

thanks to all for your replies! very heartening. Unfortunately, I'm in Canada - which, if you can believe it, seems to be even less lyme-literate than the US. I am in contact with one physician, but he is retired so I don't know whether my family physician will follow his recommendations. Fingers crossed...

12/31/2009 09:10 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

well if you cant get your regular doc to do it - you can try a more natural approach...which we can help you with that here too...

Bottom line - there is research out there that ties Lyme and MS - they have known since the 30's that there is a spirochete involved in MS - just that it is very evasive like Lyme...there was a doc in the 50's who was able to culture it...

Dont settle for Garbage - You have LYME - no ifs ands or buts...get your doc the info from here on how to read igenex tests...

let your doc know that you have a very positive test - and you will not sit and allow your health to diminish because of lack of recognition of a very real illness...you should not be made to suffer because some choose to believe that it is not real - while other continue to prove that it is worse then the mainstream is willing to admit...

Arm yourself with knowledge -

Christine

12/31/2009 09:20 AM
flowbeam
flowbeam  

I too was misdiagnosed with MS for over 4 years. I did not have any lesions although I did have oligloclonal bands which is indicative of MS or "some other neurological disease"- years later I find out through MY own research and advocacy and yes, I admit, tons of hours on the internet, that I have Lyme.

The MS diagnosis can be very scary...I was actually very happy when I showed reaction on my Igenex (not positive yet). I have been on abx since Aug 2009 and my doc and I are certain now that it is Lyme.

Be grateful that you caught the Lyme so quickly after your MS diagnosis. It is tough to suffer from misdiagnosis...and then on top of that for me to have had a child who may or may not have Lyme (haven't tested her yet).

Keep researching and learning about Lyme...VERY important. Often times I feel like I have more info that my own LLMD. This forum is a great place for real info and real experiences.

I wish you the best.

12/31/2009 09:39 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

how far up in Canada are you? would you be able to travel to NY? Or somewhere in New England? Any of the states? If so you can send me a pm and I can help find you a lyme literate doc.

If not, you can make a post here for other canadians asking them to PM you with thier doc info or how they are getting treatment. We can't post doc names on the board, but you can do that thru pm's and emails

12/31/2009 02:13 PM
lindaca

Just had updated mri's, and I have the oligoclonal bands as well.

MRI's show a lot of expansion of the increased signal area in the spinal cord, but even the radiologist notes indicate possible vasculitis or infectious myelitis (lyme!) as well as the possibility of MS.

On the brain, he noted increased signal in one area, BUT also indicated that this type was NOT typical for MS.

So, we're back to non-MS and yes-it's-lyme. My doc says that you can have increased signal on MRI's from abx 'pissing off' the little buggers.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved