MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/01/2013 06:51 PM

Glutathione or NAC and ALA?

TeacherMom41

I am trying to decide between buying Glutathione or N Acetyl Cysteine and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

I've read that Glutathione is not readily absorbable via oral supplementation (pills through the stomach).

I know IV Glutathione is best, but I am not going the picc line route yet.

I've read that N-Acetyl Cysteine will help the body to naturally create glutathione in the body.

Some people add Alpha Lipoic Acid to their NAC supplementation to help as well.

My breathing has gotten very shallow, and I just chose not to even speak as I lose way too much air that way.

Whether my breathing problems are from Babesia, Bartonella, or I have pulmonary fibrosis now, I dont know- but I have to do something about it now.

I also became anemic in October.

I need advice on whether or not to just buy Glutathione or the NAC and ALA combo?

Please respond as to what you know about this. Thank you.

Post edited by: TeacherMom41, at: 11/01/2013 08:45 PM

11/01/2013 07:14 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

I would use NAC if you are having breathing issues.

As for your breathing symptoms, especially the not wanting to speak, makes me think that you are not having trouble inhaling but rather exhaling. I could be wrong but having suffered from the same symptoms for years, I'm going to say you might have a possible Mycoplasma Pneumonia infection.

If this is the case, I know for me the only thing that helped was Neem Leaf Extract. I used ABXs for years, Byron White Formula for 6 months & several other supplements. NLE was the only thing that busted the Mycoplasma out of cyst form & killed it for good.

Whatever is causing your breathing issues, I hope you find the right treatment for you. Best wishes.

11/01/2013 08:08 PM
deadgerms

NAC is helpful with lung issues. ALA has a synergy with Acetyl-L-Carnitne that helps the mitochondria supply energy, and ALA is absorbed better if taken with biotin. ALA can be found in products combined with ALC, and I think that is the better way to take it. Oral glutathione is not helpful as most is not absorbed, and it is expensive.

11/01/2013 08:17 PM
TeacherMom41

My hematologist is testing my blood (got it drawn today) for mycoplasma & Babs. The hosppital lab is going to save some smears for the hematologist to look at on Monday. Is Monday too late?

He is testing through Labcorp..

What are your thought on results from labcorp?

My llmd already looked at my smears & diagnosed me with babs and bart on wednesday. But this breathing thing is a mystery, dr j said I am the worse case of air hunger that he has seen, which makes me wonder if there are some lung problems here as well.

another doctor put me on Penicillin 2 Mondays ago, and the breathing probs have worsened slightly since then.

Also, I have become anemic, so that may also be another reason for the more difficulty in breathing- I dont know. Or, it is the Babs rearing its ugly head.

I have stopped the Penicillin today, to see if the breathing problems improve. I want to make sure they are not related to too much abx.

I am still on 200 doxy daily.

Thanks for your continued replies!

Post edited by: TeacherMom41, at: 11/01/2013 08:44 PM

11/01/2013 08:37 PM
GlutathioneP
GlutathionePPosts: 5

Well, you are right that glutathione is not readily absorbed by the body. But you can get around this by supplementing either acetyl glutathione or liposomal glutathione. I would suggest a supplement that contains Acetyl glutathione, NAC and ALA. The bonus with NAC is the anti-mucousal properties.

11/01/2013 08:45 PM
Songster

I have used NAC very successfully in the past for sinus/lung issues. It is not very expensive so you can easily try it while you are waiting to find out what is going on with your breathing.

Shortness of breath and feeling like I am not getting enough air has been a symptom for some time. My LLMD told me that this was a Babs symptoms, but that Lyme could cause it as well.

About 10 days after starting abx I began to cough and have more mucus type symptoms coming from my lungs, which I never had! And my lungs are always clear. I attributed it to clearing up hidden infection. So, you may have been on to something with the abx you were on, and possibly didn't take it far enough. But only your LLMD can tell you that for sure.

Good luck finding the correct treatment.

11/01/2013 09:19 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Labcorp is fine for Mycoplasma testing. Just make sure an IgM & IgG are taken. If the IgG is elevated over 400, you are still active. Anything in the 1000's, you are have major issues from the infection.

03/18/2014 09:12 PM
TOddstratt
TOddstratt  

I have actually read recently from Buhner's work that having antibodies to Mycoplasma may indicate previous infection but not a current one.. Having cleared mycoplasma out of the system once and attaining antibodies makes re infection difficult Buhner mentioned..

The trouble is getting the system to bring down the inflammatory cytokine response it triggers in the first place, and getting the immune system to finally target and create the warranted antibodies in the first place. Without proper treatment some people can go years without ever creating proper anti bodies to co infections.

Based on symptoms I would say active infection seems more likely though..

03/18/2014 10:57 PM
neska

i have paperwork here that my doctor suggest that i buy S-Acetyl Glutathione.

this is the only one that absorbs.

the website is www.xymogen.com XYMOGEN

03/19/2014 08:26 AM
Palomino

You do not need a picc line to get glutathione IV's. My llmd uses 'IV pushes'. I get 2400mg pushed in once a week thru a vein. Takes about 10 minutes and I virtually cannot live without it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved