MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/11/2013 12:16 PM

EBV, Epstein Barr Virus & Lyme

TeacherMom41

My appt with my LLMD is a couple weeks away, however he wanted to run some preliminary testing pre-appointment.

Long story short, the result for EBV VCA IGG came back really high & showed it is an acute infection, meaning new.

I have never had Mono ever.

Has anybody else gotten Epstein Barr virus with their Lyme infection?

Please tell me about it - What exactly do my results mean for me?

Thank you

10/11/2013 12:30 PM
Songster

My EBV comes up high every time the test is taken! I didn't even know I had mono, an allergist told me I had the antibodies. You can have mono and it can be just like a cold. So...that being said, you might very well have had mono in the past, and it is activated now...

How hi is the titer?

10/11/2013 12:35 PM
julie315

I also have this, my LLMD has me on valtrex. I think it's very common.

I think there's also something that Byron White has for this also.

10/11/2013 12:39 PM
Songster

Oh yes, and I was on Valtrex, but my LLMD took me off of it, since he said the EBV was just a side show for the Lyme....It did help some with the pain, but the natural detoxing has helped the same...

10/11/2013 12:49 PM
TeacherMom41

Hi,

The IGG titer was 3.40, anything greater than 0.91 is Positive.

I know my boyfriend had mono years ago; I've just now read they can still pass it via kissing b/c it is in saliva.

Dd I get Mono & Lyme at the same time & that is why the initial acute infection was so devasting?

Songster- what did the llmd mean by "its just a sideshow for the lyme"?

Post edited by: TeacherMom41, at: 12/18/2013 11:27 AM

10/12/2013 12:53 PM
Songster

Lyme can appear to activate other dormant/past illnesses. So, instead of looking at the positive lyme bands the docs looked to the EBV. They took their eyes off the real problem and went watching the side show...mono

When my Lyme tests from Quest labs kept coming back positive, my EBV started to rise. I was told the entire time...over a decade, not to worry about it, it wasn't Lyme and it wasn't EBV! I didn't understand how that could be! An infectious disease doc told me that the lyme bands were just 'noise'.

I thought it was all bogus, and knew it was lyme the whole time! My LLMD told me that the Valtrex wasn't helping anything because it really wasn't EB....

The highest titer I 'saw' for my EBV was 5.2....

10/12/2013 12:59 PM
TeacherMom41

Songster- do you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

10/12/2013 01:20 PM
Songster

I was diagnosed that FM/CFS close to 3 years ago, when it was just brand new. I know people will disagree with me, but I do NOT believe there is any such thing! It is a catch-all diagnoses given when a doctor doesn't know what else to do, and won't dig any further.

No one gets sick with low grade fevers/chills, body aches, panic attacks, arthritic pain w/o arthritis, etc. etc. etc. for no reason. I would not be surprised if most CF patients have either Lyme or a co-infection....

When a doctor is worried about being sued by a patient because they clinically diagnosed something and might be wrong, or will be reprimanded/hunted down by the AMA or CDC for 'inappropriate' treatment due to the doctor's clinical diagnoses, we get...

CRAP.... ;o) my personal opinion!!!

10/12/2013 01:46 PM
idontgeit

hi the longer you have ebv or any other virus the titers will be high

shows past infection on igg and the titers will not really go down much as time goes bye. atleast that's my understanding of it, also ebv is very common.

IGM is a new infection IGG is past infection (correct me if im wrong)

take care

Post edited by: idontgeit, at: 10/12/2013 01:49 PM

10/12/2013 10:36 PM
TeacherMom41

I agree with you Somgster. CFS and firbromyalgia, just to name a few - I think are undx lyme cases as well.

Thanks idontgeit, for the explanation.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved