Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

REVISED!! How to post your photo here

view profile

lyme300000 is a group administrator lyme300000 says:

WHAT TO DO

Take a photo of yourself holding a sign that says:

I am one of the 300,000 plus annual Lyme patients being ignored by the CDC and HMOs.

- list your state (i.e. Wisconsin)

- Then EITHER say how long it took for you to get diagnosed: (It took 20 years to get diagnosed.)

OR say how long you've had Lyme (I've had Lyme for 20 years)

WE NEED TO KEEP THE SIGNS VERY SHORT AND SIMPLE SO THAT PEOPLE CAN EASILY READ THEM.

If there are parents who doesn't want to have a photo of their child displayed, they can hold a sign in his or her place (i.e. My daughter is one of the 300,000 plus Lyme patients being ignored by the CDC and HMOs). * But it's preferable to have a photo of the child.

Friends or family members can also take a photo of themselves holding a sign saying that someone they know died from Lyme (i.e. My son died from Lyme disease).

Please help those who are too sick to participate. For example, bring a camera to a Lyme support group, take pictures of each person holding a sign, and get the pictures developed for everyone.

PHOTOS

There's a time to smile and a time to protest.

We're asking that people convey their level of suffering in the photos by having serious expressions.

We also advise that people wear somber colors rather than bright festive colors for that same reason.

bettyg note: i plan on wearing my LIME GREEN since it's been here from day 1 contrary to 1 member on this committee i'm on who dislikes this immensely! that's why SOMBER colors was mentioned i'm sure!

WE WANT PEOPLE TO SEE WHAT LYME LOOKS LIKE AND HOW SICK WE ARE.

If you have an IV, make sure that can be seen in the photo.

If you're bedbound, make sure we can see you in bed.

If you use a wheelchair, show yourself in the wheelchair.

Please send in a photo even if you've recovered but are still doing ongoing treatment.

Make sure we can read the sign. Please hand write your sign.

You can either cover part of you face if you don't want to be seen or show your face.

WHERE TO UPLOAD

Upload your photo on Flicker: www.flickr.com/groups/lyme300000

Go to link above to see examples of the photos.

WHERE TO SEND

Please send up to 4 photos that have been developed to:

United Lyme Action

P.O. Box 144

Mankato, MN 56002

You can simply use the same photo you've taken from your cell phone, digital camera, etc. to upload on Flicker and take it to a drug store like Walgreens or Rite Aid to be developed.

You can also email the photo to the drug store so that you only have to pick up the developed copies. Photos can be developed in 1 hour.

WE WANT A DEVELOPED PHOTO (3x5, 4x6, or 5x7) RATHER THAN ONE THAT HAS BEEN PRINTED OUT ON A COMPUTER.

Please don't send photos larger than 5x7.

We're hoping to have enough photos to send to 4 different networks so if you're able to send 4 copies that would be ideal.

NOTE:

We realize that it is more of an effort to send developed photos but we feel they will be more effective in terms of getting media attention

(Electronic photos can't be emailed to networks because they usually have contact forms that don't allow transmission of photos, emailed photos are easy to delete and ignore, and we want the impact of the mass photos connected together.)

Photos need to be sent in by NOVEMBER 1ST.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE! We need thousands of photos.

For questions email: jessica@bloodandhoney.org

7:26PM, 30 September 2013 PDT (permalink)

view photostream

LYME MEDIA CAMPAIGN

The Lyme community is launching a photo campaign to get more media attention for Lyme. We want to capitalize on the recent press release by the CDC that rather than 30,000 cases/year there's actually 300,000.

We're asking people to take a photo of themselves holding a sign that says, "I am one of the 300,000 plus annual Lyme patients being ignored by the CDC and HMOs."

Photos will be uploaded onto a site (Flicker) that can be viewed by others.

In addition, we're asking that people get the photo developed and then send to a P.O. box.

The photos will be connected into several long banners and sent to several news networks. Our goal is to get the networks to do a story about how Lyme is being ignored.

PURPOSE

Our purpose is to show that there really are 300,000 plus people with Lyme. So many of us are bedbound or homebound that we want people to see that Lyme actually is an epidemic.

20 hours ago (permalink)

view photostream

Make sure that after you upload your photo into Flickr, that you choose for the photo to be a part of this group.

20 hours ago (permalink)

Would you like to comment?

doing this.

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 10/01/2013 03:40 PM

--- The discussion has been locked ---

10/01/2013 03:41 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

REVISED ... see above changes.

thx, bettyg

some photos will be loaded in next day or 2 to give you ideas ok Wink

10/01/2013 11:55 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

something BRAND NEW for us to try to get to the NEWS/tv shows that will DO some coverage in their programming, we hope and PRAY!

please check this over; i plan to do this.

thanks everyone; SPREAD THE WORD! would love to show them what 300,000 lyme/co-infection photos look like!!

hugs/prayers

bettyg, iowa activist

10/02/2013 11:33 AM
runner31

great stuff

10/02/2013 12:00 PM
friesians13
friesians13  

so gonna do this

10/02/2013 01:24 PM
lymesgottogo
lymesgottogo  

"so gonna do this too"

10/02/2013 01:33 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

edited by me 10/15/13:

I will not endorse this project anymore.

Asking for money - $600,000 if they get $2 a person.

It is not safe.

Post edited by: purpleyogamat, at: 10/15/2013 11:03 AM

10/02/2013 02:17 PM
friesians13
friesians13  

I totally agree

10/02/2013 03:10 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

thank you for your comments above and joining in on this.

any questions, email jessica/organizer at the link shown above ok.

there is 1 woman in jessica's group ADAMANTLY opposed to LIME green from beginning. she doesn't mince words either; i'm sure that is why DRAB color scheme due to her persistence.

the 1st photo, i can't read either; i plan on TYPING IN LARGE FONT SO IT'S LARGE AND LEGIBLE!

somber look indicates our suffering with our long-term illnesses. just passing along THEIR comments; not mine!

bettyg

10/02/2013 05:14 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

I left a comment on their blog, as I had no idea how to contact them.

Hopefully I don't get crucified or deleted...

I will say, there were plans from other people (very very active in the lyme community) to do something like this for World Wide Lyme Protest 2014....

But this just popped up. So...

Please do this if you'd like...

I'm sure in a few months I will have info on the other project... it will be a photo (any way you want), and will link to your lyme story.

Post edited by: purpleyogamat, at: 10/02/2013 05:21 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved