MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/01/2013 06:28 PM

Tick Bite and Tooth/Jaw Pain

ViolinToo

So I was bitten by two ticks on 6/16, they weren't discovered until 36 hours later.

Now, on top of all the problems that come along with this- I have developed the worst toothache of my life. I have excellent oral care so it doesn't make sense to me.

The entire right side of my mouth started hurting on Saturday but I thought it was just from me clinching. I wear a bite guard a night made by my dentist to prevent me from clinching. When I worry though, I guess I bypass the bite guard.

I just talked to my dentist who wants to see me tomorrow but thinks I might need a root canal! Wait, WHAT?! Either I have the worst luck or this tick caused a problem with my tooth.

What do you guys think? I have been taking my doxycycline exactly as prescribed even though it hurts my stomach. Does Lyme disease and other tick related illnesses effect your teeth to this extent?

I can't express to you how sad I am and how mad I feel. I know you guys know what I am talking about too. My mom keeps calling me and she acts like this is all in my head or that the antibiotic is making me feel tired and weak...and now my teeth hurt like I have never experience before in my entire life.

Sometimes it just feels like it's too much. Do you know what I mean? I know you do. I feel alone in my life (not on here) and like no one understands how sick ticks can make you and how much they can change your life.

So do any of you think my tick bite has anything to do with this awful toothache I am having?

Love all of you guys and gals...you have shown me so much support.

07/01/2013 07:04 PM
firtrees

Yes, Lyme disease can cause tooth and jaw pain. I've had tooth and jaw pain off and on, sometimes from clenching and sometimes not. I would say it's a good idea to get it checked out, and if your dentist doesn't find any problem with your teeth, then it is probably just Lyme disease causing the pain.

07/01/2013 09:53 PM
barbaro26

I, too, have transient tooth and jaw pain when my lyme flares.

07/01/2013 11:01 PM
Anjebelle
Anjebelle  

I suffer from this as well. Along with mouth and gum burning, and soreness that prohibits me from chewing anything to hard. I ate scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, rice and beans for 7 days.

I also had face and jaw pain. My dentist took X-rays, and checked for thrush. Healthy, nothing wrong or needed fixing. It must have been a flare, it ceased after 10 days.

I know other people would think this is crazy. I know I am not crazy, these things are real, and happening to a lot of Lyme patients.

07/02/2013 02:40 PM
ViolinToo

Just wanted to update you all on what happened with my tooth- I did get in to see my dentist this morning. I called him last night because the pain escalated very quickly; in

fact by the time 9:00pm rolled around, I was in the middle of the worst toothache of my life. Nearly 40 years of living and having gone through one root canal and TMJ surgery-

to me that is really saying something. Thankfully he called something in for me last night. This morning they took an x-ray and there's a tiny pocket of infection right

between my crown and my tooth, not on the margins where it normally would be. The dentist said it was the weirdest thing he's ever seen. I never have any tartar or plaque

when I go to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned because I know how weak they are.

He said he had never seen anything like it in his whole career. So then I told him about

the tick bites and he said that he had read that Lyme (didn't know about all the other tick born illnesses)especially attacks the weakest parts of your body. My teeth are weak

from my Celiac disease (it can cause a vitamin deficiency) so that's what he thinks. Now on top of all of the other things going wrong just from these tick bites, I feel like my

teeth are at stake too. I'm personally all for the government spraying for ticks like they did for mosquitos back in the 1950's/60's. Do you guys remember the trucks that

would come around and spray? I HATE TICKS!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved