MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/13/2008 05:15 PM

Bartonella disease

aslan

Hi,

I have a child that was diagnosed with Systemic Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis in Nov of 2004. He has been okay for a couple of years but has always had joint pain and it is getting worse. I have a cat that was diagnosed and passed away from hemobartonella in 2003. Is there any point testing to see if my son has bartonella (not sure if hemobartonella and bartonella are the same). Anyone was treatment options? Is this curable or just controlled with drugs.

Concerned in Cary

Thank you

06/14/2008 08:57 AM
lymie
ConnieD  

Hi Aslan,

Welcome! First, I am so sorry your son is sick.

Definitely have him tested for Bartonella and Lyme Disease ,too. There was a huge outbreak of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis in Lyme, Connecticut in the 70s. Turned out to be Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease has spread to all 50 states now. It is underdiagnosed and undertreated.

Bartonella is curable. I had bartonella, too. My doctor ordered tests from Immunosciences. Others on this site used Igenex. They are both excellent labs.

My perspective of 'curable' is from the alternative perspective. I had to travel out of state to even get a diagnosis. My docs told me I just had FM and to get used to the pain and my 30 or so symptoms...I've never actually tallied my symptoms. (I'll put that on my list of things to do. ) My rheumie referred me to a psychiatrist and said I had every test that was available and there was nothing else wrong with me. If I'd have listened to him, I'd be dead in five years or less. Now, I am thriving and reclaiming my life. Your son can, too. First, we have to find out what's wrong.

Has he ever been tested for Lyme?

Peace,

Connie

06/14/2008 10:36 AM
aslan

Hi Connie,

Thank you for your reply. I had my son tested up at Duke for lyme a few months after he came out of the hospital and it was negative. That is no surprise from what I have learned. What lab did you mention because I only learned about IGENEIX yesterday.

Did you have a rash, high fever with bartonella? I am not sure my son has lyme or bartonella but find it ironic that my cat died of hemobartonella in 2003 and a yar later my son was so very sick and dx with systemic JRA.

Prayers with you ,

Sheryl

06/14/2008 06:29 PM
lymie
ConnieD  

Hi Sheryl,

The lab my doctor used is Immunosciences, Inc. You can google it and read about it. It is a thorough lab test.

I had so many symptoms and so many coinfections that it would be hard to say what organism was causing each symptom. I tested positive for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlichia and HHV-6 and HHV-7. I recovered from all of that. It took about 8 months. I was feeling great. Then, I was reinfected with more lyme, more babs, and RMSF. But, that's okay, I recovered so fast, I would have missed it had I not been so aware of tick-borne diseases. My immune system is strong again and I was already on natural antibiotics. This third tick did not stand a chance this timeWink .

Your son very well may have both. These days it's rare that a tick carries only one disease. Many times a person is infected with not only Lyme, but one or two or even three coinfections as well. Some symptoms of bartonella are flu-like feeling, (about 10% get fever), msucle and/or joint aches, nausea, vomiting, chills and maybe painin the throat. Complications can include endocarditis, abdominal pain, inflamed spleen, skin eruptions with open wounds, bone lesions, hepatitis, and inflammation of the retina and optic nerve. This list of symptoms is from my book , Everything you Need to Know about Lyme Disease and other tick borne disorders. So, you see how the symptoms are similar to Lyme?? A good lab, Igenex or Immunosciences, will be able to test for Lyme and coinfections.

My prayers are with you, too Sheryl,

Connie

07/21/2008 06:21 AM
lymemd

Lyme disease was discovered when an epidemic of "Jeuvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis" was discovered in Lyme Connecticut in the 1970s. It has been know for a long time that tetracycalines incuding doxycyline have been helpful in treating RA. It has also been known that Plaquenil has been an effective RA drug. It turns out that both of these drugs are part of the pharmacological therapy for chronic Lyme disease. Lyme can cause the RF blood test to turn positive. Some believe that most rheumatoid arthritis is do to Lyme and related infections. A traditional rheumatologist will never consider this possibility. One must be evaluated by a Lyme literate MD- which can be difficult to find, to see if this is the case. Lyme and related infections can be cured or at least put into long term remission. But this may take a long time. On the other hand, rheumatoid arthritis treated by the standard protocols is not curable and may involve the use of potentially dangerous immuno-suppressive drugs.

07/21/2008 06:52 AM
ConnieD
ConnieD  

Thanks for your information about the relationship between Lyme and RA. I'm going to print this and show it to my neighbor, whom I believe has Lyme. I have told her all of the above, but perhaps in print, it will be more convincing. She is presently seeing a rheumie and takes steroids, plaquenil, etc. She still feels horrible. So sad.

We can thank Polly Murray for her intuitiveness that the symptoms she and her family and many in her community were experiencing were from the many tick bites that were so common in her area.

It is my hope that one day Lyme and coinfections will be a 'rule out diagnosis.' Too many people are rotting away with MS, ALS, RA, etc when many of them probably have Lyme. So sad.

I hope you're son is getting proper treatment by now, Sheryl.

Peace,

Connie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved