MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2013 02:08 PM

chest pain left side..hurts to inhale

Mandirem

[/b]I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Since Thursday i have had severe pain on the left side of my chest.

It is a sharp pain that came on out of the blue while i was watching tv. It is constant and hasn't let up in 4 days and is much worse when I inhale. It also gets worse when I move certain ways.

I went to the ER Friday and all they were able to tell me is that it is not related to my heart.

I have been on various antibiotics for two years now after having diagnosed lyme for 11 years.

Currently I am on Biaxin, doxy , malarone 3 days per week, and bicillian shots once per week.

Wondering if the med could cause this, or the lyme, or something unrelated.

Its so hard to get any answers from any of my local docs and my lyme doc is 3 hours away.

I will make an appointment with my pcp tomorrow but it helps to have info when I see her as she does not know much about lyme.

Thanks!

01/20/2013 06:43 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

I'm so glad you got the work up and your heart is ok!

I get left side chest pain that is worse when inhaling too. Mine is off and on though. Four days in a row must be awful!

It kinda sounds like a lyme thing to me. Can't you call your llmd? You should call the prescribing doc if you think it could be a med side effect.

01/20/2013 11:22 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

sounds like costochondritis around the breast rib area.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/3288849-lyme-and-costochondritis

costochondritis and lyme

hugs, bettyg, iowa .... i have this severe for DECADES!

01/21/2013 06:33 AM
TexasDigger
TexasDigger  

I had this just before I realized what I had and got diagnosed several months later. I went on a rather expensive ER trip after having waited until the pain was severe and had traveled to my left arm, up my neck, and into my left jaw.

The good news was that after a heart workup and having all the ER doctors and nurses treat me like a complete faker, I did research enough on my own to realize what I had.

About 5 months later I was positively diagnosed and am in treatment now.

The pain comes back sometimes but it seems like, as with all my symptoms, the first time is generally the worst.

Good luck and hang in there!

01/21/2013 10:29 AM
Mandirem

Thanks for your response everyone! Every time I go to the ER or doc, they always make me feel like they think I am making it up. It is helpful to know that other people go through these same things (although I wish no one else had to!)

Bettyg..It definitely sounds like it is costochondritis. It is good to have a name for it!

Has anyone found anything that helped alleviate the symptoms? I teach martial arts full time, and this (and all the other Lyme symptoms) are making it very difficult for me to keep working!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

01/21/2013 05:35 PM
CDCBS

I have had slipping rib syndrome. I had proltherapy treatment for this because chiropractic treatment didn't last and the rib would keep popping out.

If you feel along the sternum and if there is a sore spot you can follow the rib to the spine and see if there is soreness along the length of the rib.

Ribs move when breathing and if one is out it can cause alot of pain. Inflamation.I have read before that lyme loves injured tissue.

I would imagine you do alot of twisting movements with martial arts and that could definetly cause a rib to pop out.

That is just a thought and my ribs now stay in place, but I have alot of other loose joints I believe due from this Lyme infection. I may have more prolo in the future when I get my infection in check.

Hope it gets better soonSmile

01/22/2013 10:31 AM
Mandirem

That's interested CDCBS. Thanks for sharing your situation! I will mention all of this to my LLMD when I see him next.

A few times it did feel like my rib popped out of place.

It always amazes how many problems this illness from one tiny little tick can cause...scary!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved