MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/04/2012 05:47 PM

College and Lyme

KemoSabe
KemoSabePosts: 36

Do any of you who are college students have a hard time remembering things you learn in class? I've been having trouble with memory and retaining information from my classes?

Do you tell your professors you have lyme?

12/04/2012 05:54 PM
Keyslah
KeyslahPosts: 6

There should be a program for people who need accommodations, just ask your advisor.

12/04/2012 07:24 PM
khoyt222
khoyt222Posts: 53

Yes, I am in the same boat. When I was able to be at school, I went through disability at my college to get the accommodations I need.

You usually have to get some kind of medical documentation of your disability and the school will help you set up what you need.

Unfortunately for me, I had to take the year off even with the accommodations because I am just too sick. But next Fall I will be back!

12/14/2012 08:26 PM
KemoSabe

Yea I think I may have to do the same thing. All of this is hard to deal with.

12/14/2012 09:12 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

I started and stopped college multiple times.... For that very reason.

I wasn't able to remember anything. I'd spent an hour reading and then not remember one single word the second I stopped.

Back then I didn't know about my Lyme, so I didn't know to ask for help.

You should look into disability services...

blessings,

purple

12/15/2012 08:18 AM
kochmcdiarts
kochmcdiartsPosts: 99

I agree with purple. Talk to your teachers. Let them know what is going on.

Taking frequent breaks and not waiting until the last minute habe helped me a lot. Taking my time and studying little bits at a time. Instead of reading an entire chapter im one setting i have to break it up.

Also, taking notes on what i have read helps me remember. Anotjer thing my teachwrs and i have found thay helps is this.

My teachers will write up a bunch of questions for me to then study. It helps me focus and apply rather than memorize. Get the study guides for your text books too.

12/15/2012 02:10 PM
sjjeter002
sjjeter002  
I'm an Advocate

yeah i was up at UCONN, had to withdrawl... couldnt remember a thing=( my professors werent understanding and i just had so much trouble focusing and getting them to realize something was wrong.

12/15/2012 02:56 PM
BIGDOG1950

The good thing is that you are young and should heal quickly. College will always be there even though you have to put your life on hold.

I hope you have a lot of support, because you do need it. I'm old and feel much older since lyme. I hope to regain some of my golden years, because there is nothing golden about this stuff.

12/15/2012 07:03 PM
khoyt222
khoyt222Posts: 53

sjjeter002- It is a shame that your school was not understanding. Although even with all the disability services, I was just too sick to do it.

I am wondering if you are planning on returning? I am not sure where in your disease you are, but I am struggling with figuring out what to do.

My doctor advised me not to go to school this year and I tried it and had to withdraw, I was hoping for next Fall but he isn't so positive about this either.

12/16/2012 05:33 PM
KemoSabe

I played football my freshmen year before transferring, that's when I started having bad symptoms and now I feel like an old man with joint pain and everything.

I just finished up finals. And I tell you I couldn't remember anything from the beginning of the semester. Computer science and calculus especially. Those are things you don't just understand you have to memorize a lot and It really kicked my ass this semester.

Sigh.. I'm being treated by a ND with herbal supplements and I don't think they are working. I'd rather go through an antibiotic treatment and take some time off.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved