MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/03/2012 06:07 PM

CDC positive for Lyme - Should I report it?

MargaretB

I just got my Western Blot test back. I am CDC positive.

I live in North Mississippi where Lyme is "supposedly" not endemic.

How do I report it? To the State Health Department?

I'm thinking I should report it to help get Mississippi on the map as endemic.

Thanks y'all.

10/03/2012 06:10 PM
walkersraven
walkersravenPosts: 552

states and counties have different ways of determining endemic

can you post your test results?

10/03/2012 06:44 PM
MargaretB

Hi walkersraven...here's my results. I typed it just as it was on the page.

This is all Greek to me. I've tried to research what all the bands are but just can't wrap my brain around it.

My IgG was negative but here's my IgM results...

IGeneX IgM result POSITIVE

CDC/NYS result POSITIVE

18 kDa +

**23-25 kDa +

28 kDa -

30 kDa -

**31 kDa +++

**34 kDa -

**39 kDa IND

**41 kDa ++

45 kDa -

58 kDa ++

66 kDa +

**83-93 kDa +

10/03/2012 07:02 PM
walkersraven
walkersravenPosts: 552

if you type in lyme + WB explanation in search box top of forum pg it will give you an idea and is pretty clear

sadly, just to let you know I am also NYS/CDC + on IgM, with one IgG +, you would not be positive by CDC standards

again each county (start with health dept) has it's own standards so you might try calling them, not sure which co. you are

usually the reporting process is started by doctor ordering the test

10/03/2012 08:11 PM
MargaretB

Thank you. I'll check that out...for the explanation. My appointment with my LLMD is in November. I'll talk to him about reporting it.

Contracted Lyme in 2001. Also concerned I may have passed it to my 6 year old. I had a miscarriage @ 12 weeks in February...I wonder if Lyme could have caused the loss.

I hope you are okay and your treatment is going well.

God Bless

10/03/2012 08:52 PM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

Hi MargaretB,

Welcome to the group, and yes, for sure, Lyme is in your blood. And there is no way to say this lovingly enough, so please bear with me. Lyme does cause a lot of unnecessary miscarriages.

If you were unaware of your condition while being pregnant, also, there is a good chance you passed it along. I did with my 3 girls, and they all are positive and in treatment right now with me.

One major thing to tell you on this is: get her tested. Have an LLMD evaluate your child. If the LLMD/test results point to Lyme, please know that the earlier you treat the better. Once they reach puberty, the hormonal changes, etc., make treating the Lyme exponentially harder.

So please, look into this. My girls are 10, 7, and 5. We are cutting it very close with out 10-yr-old, and I am SO glad I found out the info before it was too close for what little comfort we have left. Wink

Please know that if you have any questions, or would like some info to help you evaluate your child, I have a lot of info on this that came directly from a naturopathic doctor's conference from MArch of this year. I went as a patient advocate and have all of the materials, and a pretty solid working knowledge of this whole mess.

I certainly don't think I know everything, but I can help a lot. (Wow, I seem to be tooting my own horn loudly here! Don't mean to sound like it!!)

Anyway, please check out my welcome letter, if you haven't done so yet. You can find it here:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/10007220-welcome-letter-lyme-101

Lots of love and care for you and your child,

Lauren

10/04/2012 02:29 PM
MargaretB

Thank you WiscLamLymie I appreciate all the info & advice. I appreciate your time as well. It is so wonderful for people like you on here to help us newbies.

I hope I will be able to pay it forward one day by helping someone else. I still have so much to learn.

10/04/2012 04:41 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

margaret,

i'd contact your state's health dept. to make sure you ARE counted on your state's lyme statistics.

the blood lab who sends our blood in is to report it to their state's health dept.

again, each state is SO DIFFERENT!

you know you are counted when cdc CALLS YOU about it! i was never called.

your form above shows CDC POSITIVE!!! you will be counted, but best be sure you ARE being counted!

bettyg

10/04/2012 05:57 PM
neska

yes i got the call which i was really surprised and could not figure out why they would call me.

i still don't get it.

i got bit in penna.

penna called the state i live in.

my state called my county department.

the county called me and asked me a bunch of questions.

since i was seen by a PA, i would not be counted.

why would they want a count on me, when penna had the count?

i didn't get the tick bite here; i got it in penna!!!!!

only to think they wanted to KNOW who it was for maybe my insurance company or whatever they have on THEIR guidelines?????

it made no sense to me whatsoever.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved