MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/19/2012 02:28 PM

What coinfections does Cephalexin/Keflex work on?

iwantlife

Does anyone know what coinfections Cephalexin/Keflex kills? I know it doesn't kill lyme but haven't been able to find much on what else as far as coinfections that it does work on.

I'm asking because I was put on Cephalexin/Keflex recently for a different problem. Since around day 4 of the medication, I have gotten much worse.

I'm not seeing any new symptoms, but I literally feel like I'm dying...honestly. I'm really hoping there is a possibility that the Cephalexin/Keflex is killing a coinfection rather than knowing that this is just the disease getting worse.

Some of the worsened symptoms I'm experiencing are:

- sharping stabbing nerve pain for 10 seconds at a time

- nerve pain up both hands and wrists, and inside of left arm

- returned pain on the bottoms of my feet and heels

- headaches on my temples

- worse shortness of breath

- much worse inability to think clearly

- visual issues like more frequent silvery starbursts in my vision and

- worsened floaters

- worsened extreme fatigue

- worsened extreme weakness

- more often parkinson's-like movement of my head, and more often twitching.

- my right eye is also very irritated for two days. I threw out my contact thinking there was something wrong with it but it's apparently my eye and not my contacts.

- slurring of words much worse.

- worsened seizures/last longer, more severe, more often.

I know a lot (all?) of these things are neurological. Does Cephalexin/Keflex even get into the brain?

09/19/2012 02:34 PM
lcci

Yes, it crosses the blood brain barrier.

Your symptoms sound really rough. I wish there were some way to be certain when they are herxes and when not!!! Sounds like a herx to me - can you stand it?

I don't know what all coinfections it treats but cephalosporins in general are used for bart and lyme pretty commonly.

Post edited by: lcci, at: 09/19/2012 02:36 PM

09/19/2012 03:05 PM
iwantlife

What I've found on it is that it affects cells that have a cell wall, and both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. The big one I'm thinking about here being that the symptoms I'm experiencing are largely neurological is BARTONELLA.

Killing some of that off would be great. A few weeks before I got extremely sick with severe nerve pain that I've had for over a year now, I was clawed really really deep by our cat..literally his entire claw was stuck inside my finger and after removing it, it didn't really bleed. A few weeks later...horrendous nerve pain began and within 7 months after that, I was completely debilitated.

It's hard to say what causes which symptoms, lyme vs. bartonella vs. other coinfections, however, if there's a chance I'm currently killing off the culprit for the nerve pain, I couldn't be happier with that. Suffering now is a small price to pay for getting life back forever. Just like everyone else, I want to get over this and get better and move on with the quality of life that should be an innate right and not a luxury.

09/19/2012 09:00 PM
lcci

iwantlife:

Oh, my gosh! You already know about Cat Scratch Disease, right?

It would be very cool if all you have is Bart.

09/19/2012 09:54 PM
iwantlife

I wish it were just bartonella but I tested positive for Lyme, bartonella and babesia, and we know I've had it undiagnosed for almost my whole life.

09/20/2012 08:33 PM
lcci

What lab did the tests? Was it blood tests?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved