MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/10/2011 06:41 PM

Boils

EmmaBushell

Hi everyone i have recently been tested positive for lupus due to my five early miscarriages.

I have many of the lupus symptoms but my main concern is my boils Sad i get them all over my breasts Blush and inside of my legs these are not little boils but massive ones and very very painful. I get them when i'm ill, run down and tired which is most of the time. I'm seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks to start treatment. Are these boils due to lupus and is there anyone else suffering the same?

02/10/2011 06:46 PM
redhairali
redhairali  
Group Leader

Hi and welcome to the group. I am sorry you are going through this. I have never had boils but hopefully someone has a suggestion for you. I hope you visit often.

Alison

02/10/2011 06:50 PM
EmmaBushell

Hi Alison thank you for welcoming me Smile i hope someone can help. I can see there is much support here which i'm in so much in need of so i'll probably be visiting often.

Emma x

02/10/2011 07:31 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Emma...welcome to this fantastic support site.....I don't get boils but my daughter has problems with them and I do believe she has some kind of autoimmune disease but has not been diagnosed yet. My rheumy thinks she has pre-Lupus. She gets them mainly under her arm.....she saw a surgeon to have one removed and he said that under her arm they were due to her sweat gland and of course she ended up getting a staph infection. I think that maybe some of the nurses on this site might have some suggestions. I bet they hurt and I am truly sorry your going through this.....I wish you all the best.

Eva

02/10/2011 10:38 PM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

Emma, welcome to this wonderful group. I'm so sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I have had a boil only once in my life and it was very painful, so I can't imagine having so many like you Sad Now I get rashes from the lupus and hope not to get a boil again. Hopefully others on here will have some more insight. Please let us know how your doc visit goes!!

Take Care,

Amy

02/11/2011 04:51 AM
DonnaPerryHall
DonnaPerryHall  

Hi Emma, i know how you feel, i suffer terribley with boils, usually around the 'time of the month' but its not just then, they arrive when im not feeling great, tired run down etc they mainly appear in my groin area and a few under my arms, they are extremely painful, i'm sorry you're going through it too. I always thought mine was linked to my monthly cycle and practice nurse said probably ingrowing hair, but now youve got me thinking, what if it is linked to lupus? another question for my rheumy this month!! will let you know if he agrees. my gp prescribed an antimicrobial skin cleanser for me to wash with, chlorhexidine gluconate-better known as HiBiSCRUB, it doesnt stop the boils appearing but it does stop them from becoming infected, it may be worth you asking your doc about? hope thats helped with your dilemma?

take care

Donna Smile

02/11/2011 12:35 PM
Mariah13
Mariah13  

Hi Emma and Welcome,

I used to suffer with boils in my groin area and under my arms a lot, too. My gyn told me it was due to my oily skin and that my pores tended to collect sebum. She said to avoid oily soaps and lotions and not to wear tight underwear, especially synthetics. For a while now, I have worn only all-cotton underwear that doesn't bind (no elastic at the legs). I use only Ivory soap and Tom's Natural Deodorant (no antipersperants). When I feel one starting I soak it in hot water and scrub it with a washcloth and Ivory. Haven't had a problem in years.

That antimicrobial skin cleanser sounds like a great idea. Good luck!

02/11/2011 01:54 PM
Looopie

I have always thought the boils are due to a Staph infection; but one does not really know the cause until the boils are lanced the exudates cultured.

09/17/2011 12:22 AM
oceanblues30

hello Emma how are you? i am very sorry you are suffering from boils and i know how you feel because i suffer as well from boils and usually either one right afer another or like right now i have 3 of them 2 under my breast and one on the side of my stomach. yes they are extremely painful and i do have Lupus. Unfortunately right now i have not been on any medication in over a year because the economy caused me to lose my job thus my insurance. the state gave me an insurance but it has and $865 monthly deductible which is absurd. So I believe i suffer from them because of the lack of meds that I was on before. let me know what the Dr said. Good luck!!!

09/18/2011 04:41 AM
Sandy9193
Sandy9193  

that happened to my daughter too, Eva. About 4 yrs ago. Same place and was told it was the same reason .... (he also suggested she use a diff razor for her legs than her arms. She got another behind her knee a few months later.

To the OP: I hope your dr is able to give you relief. Huge hugs to you.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved