MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/31/2009 03:18 PM

Crazy itching... It is driving me mad!

Lupie
Lupie  

I have recently developed what could be a new symptom- I itch like crazy. It is not all the time, and there is no rash that goes along with it- just crazy itching I can't seem to stop.

Does anyone else have this symptom?

I've had lupus for over 10 years and recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. On plaquenil, flexril and vicodin.

I've also been having pain in my right side thru mybback the past week and just had bllodwork on Friday for that. Today, I have been a bit nauseous and a bit dizzy.

Anyone experience anything similar? The itching seriously is making me crazy!!!

05/31/2009 06:46 PM
imsweetestkitty

I have this same problem. When I talk about the itching with doctors they just look at me with this "I have no idea"smile. My ruemi says that i should see my neuro because it might be a nerve problem. There is no rash or anything when the itching starts.

06/01/2009 06:31 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Is your itching under the skin and can't be scratched or topical? Just curious cuz i get it with the flares in both shoulders and upper arms under the skin and it is pure agony. Can drive me mad. Usually lasts about 6 weeks, 24/7 and gets worse at night. Docs have had no clue also with me.

06/01/2009 09:09 AM
Lupie
Lupie  

YES!! It is under the skin and i scratch it but it doesn't help and nothing topical helps it. It comes and goes and doesn't seem to correlate with anything...

06/01/2009 09:25 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Well, I'm glad I'm not crazy. I've been getting it for 3 years now and last summer was worse flare yet. When the itching started that time I had small pitting sores that broke open on the shoulders too and itched worse then the skin itch. All before DX and meds so i know it's not meds causing it. I do think it is a neuropathy issue. I've tried neurotin for it but it didn't help.

06/01/2009 09:29 AM
Lupie
Lupie  

No - you aren't crazy! While I don't wish it on anyone, I do feel better knowing that other people have experience it as well. I am afraid that it is a sign that the lupus is starting to affect my nervous system...I have a couple of other new symptoms that are leading me to worry about that. I have a call into my rheumy to discuss. Have you had lupus affect your nervous system? if so, what were/are your symptoms and course of action?

06/01/2009 09:46 AM
kali

I'm right there with you all my itch is usually palms of hands soles of feet ocaissionally elsewhere, never a rash just maddening itch at night but liberal application of otc topical cortisone works. I have also had an increase in neuro symptoms.I have had memory issues,headaches, neuropathy type pains in legs. My neuro ruled out all the big "scary" things like tumors etc and just says its lupus related think he's gonna start me on Lyrica for the neuropathy sx and fibro myalgia.

06/01/2009 09:47 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I have MCTD and RA with overlap symptons of Lupus amd myositis. I see a Neuro monthly for optical migraines, brain lesions, and neuropathy. I have nerve/muscle twitches thru whole body and eyelid and lip tics all the time. Drives me crazy. The only thing I've found to help is Soma at bedtime.

06/01/2009 04:35 PM
imsweetestkitty

My itching is under the skin...the kind of itch that you cant get to. Its mostly in my hands/fingers and feet/toes. I also noticed that it only happens when im having a flare up. Its one of the first signs that a flare up is coming on.

06/02/2009 02:30 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I think I'm printing this thread and handing it to my Rheumy and neuro.

I'm sorry for those of you with it in the feet. I don't think i could handle that. Shoulders are bad enough but the feet would be pure torture.

And Kitty, yes, I only get it when bad flares are coming on. never in between.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved