MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/22/2012 09:22 AM

Infection and MTX

Mommyof1
Mommyof1  

So I've had a scratchy/burning/irritated throat that's made it tickle and makes me want to cough for the past 3 days. This morning I woke up(slept a little longer than usual too)with a slight headache and pressure in my face. My daughter has sinusitis she's on Omnicef for currently and so I'm wondering if it might be that. Then again I get these types of symptoms with Lupus before a flare, the potential adrenal insufficiency I have going on and prednisone withdrawals although I shouldn't be having those because i'm on 10mg of it a day at present.

I started MTX what will be 6 weeks ago after my dose tonight. I guess my question is(since I think it's helped the lupus a little recently)how will I be able to tell if it's an infection vs any of the other things I mentioned or when to go to the dr? I only ever get "low grade" fevers. My temp is usually in the 97s so a low grade of 99s is higher for me. I just don't know how to tell the difference from anything anymore since the problems with cortisol,etc. I don't see the Endo till June 6th and the rheumy again till the end of this month.

Also, I know I have to take the MTX because you can't just stop taking meds like that but is it going to make the infection or whatever this is worse having to take it tonight knowing the next few days I will feel bad from it? Or will it mask it all and I won't know anything?? lol....I'm just so confused and don't know what my body is doing anymore. My menstrual cycle stopped last month and I've read it can be from MTX and prednisone changes them...but I'm also on the IUD Mirena birth control which can do that too and I've had that since Jan 2011...so...as I said I know nothing about me anymore!! Anyone else feel that way?? I hope you all are well. Take care and God Bless and thanks for letting me vent lol

*hugs* -Lupie LadyBug

05/22/2012 09:55 AM
vshante23
vshante23  

I have the same issues off and on. I know prednisone sucks but what I usually do is up my dose 2.5 or 5 mg every other day that week. If it is a flare trying to start that usually stops it (ask your dr first of course). Also watch your temp and your heartrate if you have bp machine at hm. If those are high or higher then normal thats usually an early sign of an infection. If it is an infection and its early on you can sometimes kill it with honey and lemon tea. Honey wks as a natural antibiotic and if its something light it can kill it early. Good luck!!! Smile

05/22/2012 10:01 AM
Mommyof1
Mommyof1  

Thanks for the advice. I also get elevated heart rate and bp's from lupus flare ups and cold/flu like symptoms...part of what makes it so hard for me to differentiate. I have a bunch of allergies too and chronic sinus issues...I will try the tea although it has to be decaf...cannot do caffeine like tea or dark sodas anymore either!

05/22/2012 08:05 PM
vshante23
vshante23  

Lol...I'm not laughing at you but I just truly understand. My bp stays normal cause of meds but my heart rate is usually betweel 90-110(super high)...but I kno if it jumps higher somethings off.

Oh and as far as the tea I know its hard. I was a huge tea drinker before. I did find that "sleepy time tea" is pretty safe and it taste really good with the honey.

Have you tried a nasal spary. I'm on the off brand flownase. It clears up e everything else but I do get ulcers in my nose sometimes because of it...but like most of the meds its a trade off.

05/22/2012 08:21 PM
Mommyof1
Mommyof1  

Yeah you seem to have the same sarcastic humor that i do lol ...My heart rate has been that high and even higher before. I carried something in the house once and literally it was like 180 since the at rest rate was 100 or so...at that time i wasn't on any meds besides Naprosyn which doesn't help.

The sleepytime vanilla tea is awesome! I love the honey in it and even add lemon sometimes.

I have tried the nasal spray. In fact I am on the off brand of Flonase too, Fluticasone. I was on allegra as well until they stopped doing those as prescription and that was the only allergy med that worked for me without the bad side effects.

I have a nice sinus headache going on now and body ache and low grade temp(99s..my normal temps are in the 97s)and all that mess so i'm sure I have sinusitis like my daughter so i guess i'll be calling to set up an appt with the PCP tomorrow.

All the meds are definitely a trade off. Metho has given me a couple good days each week but the rest of it sucks lol Still cannot go outside at all without getting a rash.

I get the ulcers in my mouth but never have in my nose. ...

05/22/2012 09:31 PM
LenaT14
LenaT14  

Ugh y'all sound like you are having a crap ton of fun! I'm not much help on any of these topics, but have you ever tried the nasal wash type things for the sinus issues? I used to do it to my allergy/asthma monster son and it worked wonders. Just looks really unpleasant forcing water up his nose and snot coming out the other side! I live in the allergy capital of the world and lots of people swear by it. Smile Good Luck

05/23/2012 08:25 AM
Mommyof1
Mommyof1  

Are you talking about the Neti Pot or whatever they call it or is this something different? lol

My son is allergic to misquitoe bites but doesn't seem to have allergic rhinitis like me or anything like that. My daughter does though without the allergy to misquitoes. Can't win! haha

And ty Lena for the advice Smile

05/23/2012 09:34 AM
LenaT14
LenaT14  

Yes Neti pot is one and there is also one that's easier to manage that's just a bottle called Naso wash or something similar, no chemicals needed which sounds like what may be best for you. Just saline and distilled water, lots of people use them in the shower on a regular basis to just keep the sinuses free of irritants. Smile

I find them at any local drug store or grocery store for about $10. I have family members with chonic sinus/allergy issues that have tried all types of meds and this has actually worked best....

05/23/2012 10:05 AM
Mommyof1
Mommyof1  

That sounds like a good idea Lena. Will have to try it!

05/24/2012 12:51 PM
vshante23
vshante23  

Hey Ladies!!! Yes allergies are a ton of fun to add to the mix,lol. Those saline nasal things are pretty good. They help clean out all the "gunk" that builds up. Oh and btw my Dr said gargling with peroxide can help the sore throat and kill some of the mucus that drains.

I hear you on the sun...I can't even be next do a window.lol. You can make it work. Walking around all covered up with big glasses does make you look like a diva or a celeb,lol..."Work it girl!". They have a laundry soap by tide called SunGaurd it reflects the sun so you're not all hot with all those clothes on.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved