MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/03/2012 07:59 AM

Could this be LUPUS? ANA positive.

lkal

Hi,

My ANA is positive with 1:80 recently and all other tests are in normal range. I have thyroid but the readings are within range.

I am having muschle aches and for about 20days now I am having mouth ulcers too. I have had heart sac inflamation 4 or 5 yrs back and after using antibiotics absolutely had no complaints. Could this be LUPUS? My physician referred me to rheumy but I didn't get the appointment until after a month.

Also what is the normal range for ANA? I understand that as per my lab < 1:40 is normal. Does that mean 1:10, 1:20 should be the reading for ANA to be negative?

Any suggestions appreciated to have mental peace until I talk to rheumy.

Thanks.

Post edited by: lkal, at: 02/03/2012 08:01 AM

02/03/2012 08:05 AM
82nd
82nd  

Hello and welcome - My ANA is +1:1280 - I also know that some folks here have a negative ANA - so ANA is just a flag to a larger puzzle I believe. Someone else will have a better answer I trust - Smile

Ray

02/03/2012 08:54 AM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi and welcome to this fantastic support site where you will meet some wonderful, caring and compassionate members. I wish I could be of help but I am one of the few here that has a Negative ANA. I know their will be others that will chime in soon and maybe they can give you some answers. I wish you the best.

Eva

02/03/2012 09:19 AM
lkal

Eva,

You have negative ANA and still have LUPUS?

02/03/2012 09:26 AM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Ikal...absolutely, my doctor doesn't just go by labs alone she examines me and listens to what I have to say....I actually have at least 7 of the 11 criteria for Lupus.....I have the discoid rash, malar rash, seizures, cognitive problems, memory problems, peripherial neuropathy along with central nervous system vasculitis lupus as I have had two brain aneurysms...I have been through quite a lot since 2007 but was diagnosed in 1996. You can read my profile and see all that I have been through. I have read many books on Lupus and you can have a negative ANA and still have Lupus. I do have other labs that are positive.

Eva

02/03/2012 08:18 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Ikal, my ANA is currently 1:640. I think every rheumy is a little different in how they manage lupus patients. I think some want to see specific things in the labs or otherwise they won't treat the Lupus. Others will treat based on symptoms. I think you just have to feel comfortable and build a rapport with your rheumy because you will go through so much with them. Do you know if they did testing for the specific autoimmune antibodies? Like SSA, SSB, dsDNA.......do you know if all these were normal?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved