MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/27/2012 04:07 PM

yoga, less pain

KarenE1

I have been going to a yoga class for the past 2 weeks. I thought that it would help me get me energy and I would feel less pain because it is a form of exercise. But, I think it has made it worse. My joints are constantly killing me and I am taking pain medication everyday.

01/27/2012 06:26 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Karen and welcome to this fantastic support site where you will meet some wonderful, caring and compassionate members. I am so sorry that your having so much pain. I know my joints have been hurting quite a bit but were having a lot of cold lately. Maybe it's the cold affecting your joints. What pain medication are you taking? Do you see a Rheumatologist?

Anytime you feel like chatting or asking questions please feel free to post often.

Eva

01/27/2012 07:32 PM
redhairali
redhairali  
Group Leader

Hi Karen,

Maybe you shouldn't have started started with an everyday workout. Maybe work up to that. Welcome to the group. How is lupus affecting you? It really helps to to have a place like this to come to, we all understand. I hope you visit often.

Alison

01/28/2012 08:45 AM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Karen, I have recently rejoined my gym and started to work out again for the first time since being diagnosed. My thoughts were also that it would give me more energy. I see Physical Medicine and Rehab for pain management and so I asked them what I should do since I had been less active for so long because I didn't want to cause myself to have an injury or increase my pain. They told me to start with aqua therapy in a heated pool. My gym has a heated pool and that actually has been the most helpful. They told me after doing that for a while to then go to yoga. I also walk on the treadmill and am using the elliptical. I don't run because it would give me joint pain. I hope this helps. Where are you doing yoga? Do you have a gym membership?

April

01/28/2012 11:23 AM
KarenE1

Hi April, when were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed in 2009 of June. It was very hard for them to diagnose me at first. I went to the MD because I was having alot of headaches and terrible back pain and he told me he sees something but he doesn't know what it is. So, then he recommended that I see a Rheumatologist. She had me touch my toes, and do some stretches. She said that it was arthritis. But, then she had me do an MRI and she said that I have Lupus.

01/28/2012 11:41 AM
KarenE1

Hi Eva, thank you for wrinting me back. I am always hot ever since I was diagnosed with Lupus. I feel like I am having hot flashes. When I go to work I have to dress in layers because I know in the afternoon I am going to be extremely hot. The Dr put me on hydroxychlor plaquenil. I really don't think that it helps because I always have to take excedrin for my pain.

01/28/2012 02:20 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

I was diagnosed on 01/02/2010. I was having the same symptoms as you and I had a couple of falls with injury and my MRIs showed lesions on the spine and brain. They thought at first that I had MS and when the autoimmune panel came back I was referred to rheumatology. They are still unsure exactly of my diseases. They said they are so many things going on that it could be lupus or sjogrens or both. I also have DJD in my spine and Fibro. I also have headaches and migraines. Its awful. What was is about your MRIs that made them think Lupus? Do you have lesions?

01/29/2012 06:35 AM
KarenE1

I don't really remember what exactly it was it was a long time ago. But, I know that my rheumatologist said that from my symptoms that it was Lupus and she put me on plaquenil.

01/29/2012 09:00 AM
Mariah13
Mariah13  

I did yoga years ago and liked it. After my diagnosis and the joint pain that came with it, I stopped. Since then, I have switched to tai chi and it seems to be easier on the joints. It took about 3 months after I started the plaquenil before the joint pain went away. Like April, the rheumy thinks I have sjogrens or lupus or possibly both. It doesn't matter, he said, since the treatment is the same. It's good that you are trying to remain active, no matter how you do it. You'll eventually find something that helps!Smile

Post edited by: Mariah13, at: 01/29/2012 09:01 AM

01/29/2012 11:13 PM
hawakeita
hawakeita  
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome. I am glad that Mariah mentioned how long it took for her medicines to kick in. I remember taking those meds and nothing happening and wondering why I even bother. But you know, over time, and I think it was longer than 3 months for me, and gradually I started to feel better.

I work at a Health Dept, surrounded by normals who are also really healthy. They know about my illness, I really couldn't hide the symptoms, and recently started a yoga class over lunch break. The facilitator has personally invited me, saying how good it would be for me. I am terrified. I have sometimes headaches, lightheadedness, dizzyness, and the pain, well, I don't want to do anything that would set me into that pain again, so I politely decline. I do like the idea of starting off in a pool. Just don't think that's an option for me right now, no gym membership and taking care of a toddler. But, if you do try it, let me know how it goes. My friend who broke her neck swears by it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved