MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2009 04:03 AM

short term disability

karli1238
karli1238  

I have been missing 1 to 3 days a week due to pain issues. My prednisone was lowered 5 days ago and joints still hurt. I want to have dr fill out form for short term disability so I can adjust to meds and not have to stress of work. Has anyone been approved for short term disability due to lupus?

01/20/2009 05:30 AM
gouchie77
gouchie77  

Karli,

I've been approved for short-term disability. It is a policy I purchased through my workplace in the event something medically catastrophic happened, which it did.

Every short-term insurer has forms for the physician to complete. I've found the coverage period depends on what your physician certifies.

- Stef

01/21/2009 12:03 AM
karli1238
karli1238  

I have the form to fill out. I'm just worried dr might say I'm able to work. I've been missing 1 to 3 days a wk and can't handle the stress. Plus I have hand pain and have to type for my job. I also can't concentrate or remember what I'm doing. Why do I feel like I have to prove my case to dr? Its ridiculous. I've made a long list of symptoms. I called dr today but didn't get a return call. I'm going to call again in the morning. So annoying if they were the ones in pain they'd want a call back!

01/21/2009 08:35 AM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

I'm totally not familiar with the processes of short-term disability. But, I would think that with your inability to fulfill your work duties here lately, along with a letter from your doctor- you should get it. Hang in there and try to keep that chin up.

01/21/2009 11:56 AM
dmott
dmott  

I have been approved for short term disabilty for my lupus. The doctor first gave me six weeks off and my company was fine with it then he gave me another six weeks and my company went crazy. They said I should of had everything under control in six weeks. They made me come back to work (or I could of taken FMLA and no pay) I lasted three more months and changed jobs. Depending on the company you work for you can get short term disability if your company offers it. Hope this helps.

01/21/2009 01:43 PM
gouchie77
gouchie77  

I completely understand how frustrating the whole process can be. My workplace (thus far) has been supportive. I took FMLA leave, which permits me to be off until Feb. if I need it. If I have to be off longer, I stand the chance of losing my job. I'm hoping I'm well enough to return.

Doctors can be so unpredictable. I posted last week about my horrific follow-u[ appointment with my Rheumatologist (he was angry about completing a short-term disability form for me for my policy, implying several of his patients were "sicker" and recovered quicker than i was)...but surprisingly, my short-term disability case manager called me today with the news my Rheumatologist approved another 6 weeks of being off...didn't expect that!

Hang in there. I'm a perfect example of the fact you never know what the outcome may be. I, too, took intermittent leave before this, and missed many days as I was becoming sicker.

We're here for you.

- Stef

01/22/2009 12:05 PM
Tillie
Tillie  

I was approved for what's called Intermittent FMLA-it's perfect for us-you are approved for whatever amount of time is needed (I was approved so far for 4-5 days a mnth of needed). It's great with Lupus when you have no idea when you will flare/need time off here and there, and not need months at a time. You just take what you need/when you need. And in the FABULOUS case that you don't need to take it, you don't.

01/22/2009 02:03 PM
karli1238
karli1238  

I already have an fmla on file. I just don't feel likw I'm getting better with the work stress and I'm pretty sure I'm on the next lay off list. They wanted me to train someone for my job this wk and even said that if I didn't do it they would pay someone else. I have had trouble sleeping worring about what they where going to do. It is making me worse.

01/22/2009 07:33 PM
polivito
polivito  

I have been on short term disability because of Lupus since July. There was no question that I couldn't work and I had to apply for it through my company and they sent the paperwork to my doctor to fill out. I have to have regular doctors appointments and updates. It is a little bit of a hassle but not too bad.

If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

01/22/2009 07:36 PM
polivito
polivito  

I had the same stress about having to prove myself to my doctor! I actually changed doctors a few months into my short term leave and my new doctor is wonderful about it all and never doubts that I am actually sick.

Just go for it - try not to think about it too much. Have confidence that Lupus is real and that the things that you are suffering are just as real as if they had the word 'cancer' in them or something else that people actually know about and understand a little bit!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved