MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/08/2011 06:47 AM

Dating Update

SammieGirl
SammieGirl  

Just wanted to give an update…

Since my last Dating http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lupus-discussions/general- support/2912589-dating#2958341 post, we have gone to coffee, had breakfast, had dinner, and he drove 140 miles round trip just to cheer me on at a race. During the race he met my sister and my kids, saw my younger son have a minor melt down (shrugged if off) and made my entire week!

He has found out what I am like when I have to lean on the pain pills and, even though he thinks it is funny, he doesn't push it while I am off in La La Land (he realized the pain pills are a truth serum type thing and doesn't ask for information). We are taking it at a VERY slow pace, he is being very patient with me and I am very happy!

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lupus-discussions/general- support/2912589-dating#2958341

08/08/2011 07:28 AM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

That is awesome news. I am very happy for you girlie Smile He sounds very down to Earth and loving. How did you do in the race? ~ Julie

08/08/2011 07:35 AM
SammieGirl
SammieGirl  

Using 110 SPF, wearing sleeves, hats and all sorts of stuff, I had a ball! I have some pretty good hotspots on my feet, but that is ok. I really had a fun time.

08/08/2011 07:55 AM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

I so want to do one of those Warrior Dash events and admire your running ability. My best friend and husband run, I work out at the gym and power walk. I am just not a runner (old knee injury). At my interval training gym some people use those these new toe sneakers and I also see people running with them at the Y track Smile I will attach a pic. Good job though, keep up the great work Sammie!!

08/08/2011 08:12 AM
SammieGirl
SammieGirl  

I want to try them, but they don't offer enough padding in the feet. One of my major problem areas is the balls of my feet.

08/08/2011 09:12 AM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

I'm so happy things are going so well for you and this new fella! You ran a race?? Wow, amazing what people with Lupus can do! Right now I can bear any weight on my ankles, so only swimming for me and I don't have a pool! I hope things continue to go well in the dating world Smile Please keep us posted!

Amy

08/08/2011 09:26 AM
SammieGirl
SammieGirl  

Amy - I did Tri for the Cure. Swimming (felt amazing), Bike (felt pretty good) and then Run (hot spots on feet are not fun). I race as much as can becuase of people like you. I know lupus can be nasty and I want as many people as possible to know abou it. I try to race with a lupus shirt on. Not to mention people ask me about being so covered up!

I hope your ankles feel better soon!

08/08/2011 10:10 AM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

We are lucky to have people like you in our Lupus Community. Thank you for helping spread the word!!! You are awesome!!

Amy

08/08/2011 10:45 AM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Wow.....doing this marathon....I am so proud of you.....I can barely get on my fitness machine these days....but this was for a wonderful cause....thanks for spreading the word about this chronic illness. I am also happy that this man is still with you and that your taking it slow.....that is just wonderful.

Eva

08/08/2011 04:45 PM
unripping
unripping  

GreaT Sammie Girl! I have a night Marathon on Saturday. I feel confident to do twenty but I'm slow and I'm worried about being out after dawn so I have it arranged finish at to miles or pick up a bag full of sun gear and do the full 26.2. The last 6.2 miles has to go past the finish line so I'm able to do this.

I didn't run for years because of my knees but then I started exercising my feet and ankles and now I don't have knee problems but I still tape every long run with KT tape. I might tape a foot or ankle depending on how strong it feels too. I bought a pair of VFF Bikilas but I couldn't wear them and my instep was too high so I returned them and I alos liked more padding in the front. So my barefoot trainers are Puma Lifestyler Ortholights. I got hem on clearance for $26.00 and I think they're better than a 100 doller barefoot shoe. You have to walk around in them gradually to get used to them. I think that they help my feet a lot.

Not a lot of lupus sprinters- I think people get sick to often to go fast but people with lupus can do endurance races. Here is the best quote.

"Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when awareness comes, it is excruciating."

John Farrington, Australian marathoner

You already know what it's like to hurt and fatigued when your're sick, you can feel that way when you're healthy tooWink

This guy sounds great!

Post edited by: unripping, at: 08/08/2011 04:45 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved