MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/31/2011 10:56 AM

Plaquenil... among other things.

DW1988
DW1988  

Hello and blessings to all. On March 15th 2011 I was diagnosed with RA and the next month I talked to my doctor about other symptoms I was having such as photosensitivity, weakness, and sores in the mouth and other places. My doctor started me on Methotrexate injections and plaquenil. At first I was allergic to the Methotrexate but I started taking more allergy medicines as per my doctor's instructions and the rash went away. They started me on plaquenil twice a day but I had to reduce it to once a day because of the hyper uneasiness, the unbearable nausea (even though I take three meds for my stomach and nausea) and weakness. These were probably only unbearable because I was also taking the methotrexate injections at home and the methotrexate makes me nauseas and weak already without the plaquenil. As for flares mine will start up one day that I've been outside and the fever will continue for a couple weeks. So far all the plaquenil has done is give me back a little energy which is good. I know it will get better. What I'm worried about is that I'm on the full dose of methotrexate injections and it's not making a dent. If the MTX doesn't work I may have to start biologic infusions which scares me. Any advice?

05/31/2011 05:03 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

DW1988....I take infusions every other week of Rituxan....so far they are much better for me than the M

TX.....I was having problems taking the MTX and Imuran as it was causing me to have elevated liver enzymes....the Rituxan I take for a few days after having the infusions I get pretty tired but than I start feeling better until the next infusion...I know medications are different for everyone....maybe you need to do some research on this drug.....I know I did and talked too my Rheumy about this.......maybe someone else on here has some suggestions for you....I wish you the best.

Eva

05/31/2011 05:13 PM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

Dr. Wallace states that Methotrexate takes 3 months for it's full effect and you need to take folic acid 1mg daily to minimize side effects...which in my experience has helped. Plaqueinil takes 6 months to reach it's full effect. I say sit tight and just wait. Unfortuanately that's all you can do for now. You can do a steroid dose pack to minimize your flare. Hope this helps

06/01/2011 04:07 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Do any of you that have taken methotrexate and Cellcept know if one works better for pain than another? I am just wondering because I haven't had much pain relief from the cellcept and thought maybe someone else could tell me. Also has anyone taken both of these at the same time?

April

06/01/2011 04:59 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

April....I have taken both of these drugs but not together. I think I had less pain while taking Cellcept but my momory isn't that good. I hope someone on here can help you with this question.

Eva

06/04/2011 02:04 AM
J3man
J3man  

Pandora74...Methotrexate is NOT a pain drug...it is an IMMUNOSUPPRESANT that kills off your immune system. It is commonly given to Cancer Patients to maximize the effects of Chemotherapy and Radiation therapy. Plaquenil is also an immunosuppressant commonly used to treat Malaria,originally. Little Brother Lupus, Bryan

06/04/2011 06:46 AM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

J3man, I know exactly what type of drug that it is but in regards to Lupus it is commonly used more to provide the type of immunosuppression that helps treat the widespread pain. It is also used in diseases like RA to help with the joint pain. Where drugs like Cellcept are used more to combat the kidney damage caused by Lupus. So I am asking for opinions from people who have used both Cellcept and Methotrexate to see which one has provided them with most pain relief. If you have taken these you would understand what I am asking. For example Prednisone isn't a pain med but will do a world of good for my pain management. So do these other meds. I am a nurse remember? Many drugs have off labeled uses. I wasn't asking if anyone could tell me what kind of drug methotrexate is.

Post edited by: Pandora74, at: 06/04/2011 06:48 AM

06/04/2011 07:21 AM
afmom

Ok so I guess I'm somewhat confused. I did what I thought was my research on Metho when I was put on it and I didn't see anywhere that it was for pain. Now since I'm new to this whole thing I truly will accept that I can be wrong and that I could have researched wrong. But from what my dr. and my research told me it was to replace my plaqunil at that time and that I would need to talk to my primary about pain meds. To my understanding the Metho was an immunesuppessant. (spelling). I have no idea what Celicept is so I have no comment on that at all and I am not second guessing anyone. As I said I am very new to this. Like I said I'm just confused.

Post edited by: afmom, at: 06/04/2011 07:22 AM

06/04/2011 07:28 AM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

afmom, I am sorry I don't think I am explaining correctly. Methotrexate is not a pain medicine. It is a chemotherapy drug but it is used in disorders like Lupus and RA to suppress the immune system and in doing that providing pain relief. It isn't for pain and you are right with that. I am just asking for opinions from anyone who has taken Cellcept and Methotrexate and wondering which one worked better in getting their Lupus symptoms under control. Some have said that within a few weeks of starting the Methotrexate that they have little or no pain. So the reason I am asking is I have taken Cellcept for a long time and it hasn't helped with management of my Lupus symptoms overall. It did however take care of the Proteinuria and the problems I was having with my kidneys. So I am thinking of asking my Rheumy at my next visit if we could try the Methotrexate because it seems to work better for some Lupus patients to help get the pain under control. So I am not suggesting that it is for pain I am just asking from those who have taken it did it get your Lupus more under control and if it helped decrease their pain. Since Lupus is an immune system gone wild the immunosuppression from the Methotrexate will help relieve many of our symptoms and for me pain is my worst symptom and always ongoing. I hope that helps.

April

06/04/2011 07:53 AM
afmom

Oh ok I guess I just wasn't understanding. Sorry my brain must not be functioning yet today. Thanks for helping me out there. Confusion is my middle name Smile Thank you for the explaination. I appreciate it.

susan

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved