MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/28/2011 09:31 AM

Allergy Testing

Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

I would love to know if any of you have had any allergy testing done. I can honestly say that since my diagnosis in January 2010 my Lupus has not been under control and I suffer daily with many symptoms. So with this all being related to our overactive immune system. I am at a point where I will try anything to feel better so I have thought of having allergy testing to see if there are things that I am sensitive to that I am currently unaware of. I know that when I have dairy products I do seem to feel pretty Blah...So have any of you tried allergy testing and if so what kind of results did you have?

April

05/28/2011 04:15 PM
zizzcat

Hi April: I had extensive allergy testing and was allergic to at least 3/4 of the 75 tests on my back and arms. I tried the shots [one every 2 weeks] for a long while but they really didn't seem to help.

Westcort cream helped a lot with rashes and itching. Hydroxyzine helped with the sinus symptoms. Theophiline and inhalers helped with the asthma.

My doctor agrees that I may have had lupus since childhood.

Now a days my allergies don't bother me as much but I still use inhalers daily.

Hope

05/28/2011 06:12 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Hope, did they mention anything about the things you were allergic to triggering the Lupus and possibly causing flares? Seems to make sense since you were actually reacting to so many of the things they were testing for. This is just something I am curious about since an allergy triggers and immune response and our immune systems are already hyper. Thanks for giving me that info I think it is worth asking my rheumy about.

05/28/2011 06:13 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

I also used to get frequent and strange looking skin rashes and they could take months to go away sometimes but since the Lupus diagnosis and starting the meds I haven't had as much activity with rashes. Does that seem to be the same for you?

05/28/2011 09:33 PM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

April,

I had all the allergy testing done, including foods. I'm allergic just to seasonal tree/pollen stuff, and cats. I can't say any of them trigger flares. It's sure a thought to get tested though.

05/29/2011 09:58 AM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

Hi April! Many years ago, before my lupus diagnosis, I had allergy testing done. They injected my back with all these different allergens and I ended up being allergic to dustmites, cats, some grasses and mold. I vacuum daily to try to keep the dustmites at bay and use a good shower spray to keep the mold away. I haven't had testing done for allergy to food. I know that testing is very expensive, not sure if my insurance would pay on it.

Amy

05/29/2011 04:52 PM
zizzcat

Hi April: the testing was done about 25 years ago at which point no one connected anything to lupus.

I wanted to add that hydroxizine for allergies is also good for pain and for anxiety but it can make you a little dopey.

Hope

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved