MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/07/2011 05:07 PM

Chills and Irregular temperature control

zizzcat

Smile

Hi Everyone:

I was wondering if anybody else has issues with being cold and having chills and very low temperature when sick.

I wake up in the morning with chills that last 1-2 hours. If I am not feeling well they come and go through the day. I usually wear a sweater inside the house that is kept at about 70 degrees.

When I'm very sick my temperature goes down to 96,95,and 94. On other occassions it is just low for no reasons and I am so cold that I have to take really hot showers to bring my temp up a little and get warm. I've learned that I can take tylenol to bring it up as well and I love getting under my electric blankett to warm up.

It's almost like my brain's temperature censor is broken. As a child it was the other way around. I use to have fevers all the time.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about this?

Thanks

Hope

05/07/2011 05:19 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hope.....sometimes when I am sick I have the same problem.....I get chills and am under all my covers and quilt but running a temp of 96.....but on the other hand I will be burning up and run a fever of 100....don't know why it's different but each time I am really sick.....my temp runs from 96 up to 100 which is high for me as I run a low temp....maybe someone on here can explain this to us as I am not sure why this happens.

Eva

05/07/2011 06:18 PM
82nd
82nd  

Hope I have kept a spread sheet of my temperature the last four years. I did this because I have a thermostat that is also broken.

I will break this down logically seeing as that your question seems to request exactingness.

Average 95 to 97.1

I can experience chills and aches. I too will take hot showers to warm up and I run my hands in hot water frequently.

High 98 to 99.9

My temperature climbs for no reason – same as you described. I am chilled and I ache.

Ice Baths 102 to 104

Once my temperature reaching above 100 there is no stopping it.

It will climb to 102 to 104 and stay there until I sit in an ice bath, that's water and ice in a bath tub.

I sweat for the entire duration of the fever and I do not experience any unusual effects. Meaning, I feel normal

And I would never know I had a fever if it wasn't for the non-stop sweating.

For me the plaquenil has helped stabilize my temperature to 95 to 97.1 and I have not taken an ice bath in six months. So bottom line – I fight with regulating my temperature also. Unfortunately I have not ever found anything about it on the web and when I ask the doctor he's really not sure except to say this is one of the symptoms of lupus. But I still keep four bags of ice ready just in case.

Post edited by: 82nd, at: 05/07/2011 06:19 PM

05/07/2011 09:55 PM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

I also have a lot of problems with fevers. I was in ER once and the nurse described that in patients with lupus they can't regulate their body temperature correctly, so we get fevers. The other explanations have been the same as what you hear, it is just the lupus! My temperatures never get up to 104 though, you poor thing!! My heart goes out to you. If my temp was 104, I'd be going to the ER. I'm glad to hear the plaquenil is working for you. I hope it keeps the fevers away.

Take Care,

Amy

05/08/2011 01:46 AM
82nd
82nd  

Like I said though – the scary part is I don't know it's that high. I ache no different at 95 as I do 104 and I just don't feel it mentally – that's why monitoring my temperature has become my third favorite hobby!! LOL!!!!!

05/08/2011 03:41 PM
zizzcat

I'm glad that I do not get fevers of 104 unless I'm really sick with a kidney infection or something similar.

I've been told that one's temperature drops when the body's response system to bacteria is weak and that the body elevates it's temp. to kill bacteria but when the immune system is out of wack who knows why temperatures go up or down.

Hope

05/08/2011 08:36 PM
funnyfarm

Haha, I never felt like taking my temperature could be a hobby...but when my digital thermometer battery died and I had to use the trusty mercury stick...

Now I must go and start shopping around for one of those new fangled ear sensor ones or something so I can continue to play the game!

Hope, my temps are more in line with Eva's, but I also can relate to what 82nd is saying. I would love to know more about this mysterious phenomenon myself! I do hope we get some answers.

05/08/2011 09:10 PM
82nd
82nd  

Glad you liked that one!! I'll be here all week!! LOL!!!!

05/09/2011 04:22 AM
funnyfarm

((claps)) and the crowd goes wild! lol...thanks for the grin Smile

05/09/2011 09:52 AM
styles76
styles76  

Wow way too funny I have been having the same weird symptoms the last 2 weeks. The one difference is when I go outside and it is hot I get goose bumps and the hotter it gets outside the colder I get and I end up getting cold chills. Then the skin on my neck starts burning, my arm pits hurt and I get horrible head aches. I have stopped trying to figure out wtf lupus is doing to my body.

Jen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved