MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2011 09:12 AM

Bruises that won't go away

afmom

I have heard that bruiseing that won't go away are part of auto-imunine. I've had a bruise on my leg that is about the size of a softball since Feb. Is this normal? I'm going to talk about it with my primary tomarrow. But I was wondering what you all have to say about it.

04/27/2011 09:24 AM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

When I was on a higher dose of prednisone, I was bruising much easier. So maybe that is what is going on with you?? Definitely show it to your primary tomorrow! Let us know how your appt. goes.

Take Care,

Amy

04/27/2011 11:48 AM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

I have experienced large bruises in the past that took weeks to go away. I asked my Rheumy at one point why I kept having them. He told me it was the high dose steroids and Cellcept combo. When my doses were lowered the bruising also decreased. I still bruise more easily they just aren't so large and don't stick around so long.

04/27/2011 01:34 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I bruise very easily too....I believe it's the combination of prednisone and other immunosuppresants. I would mention this to the doctor if you are concerned.

Eva

04/27/2011 02:26 PM
afmom

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna talk to my doc tomorrow. I can't take predisone i'm allergic to it. It's strange because I wasn't on any Lupus meds when I got the bruises. So it will be ver interesting what she has to say.

04/27/2011 07:15 PM
Hakuro
Hakuro  

Hello afmom. I also have been bruising very very easily for a few years now. Even prior my diagnosis with Lupus. The prednisone stuff is a factor for sure. But I also read that the lupus can make the vessels more fragile. In which case, your coagulation would be in a normal range. I remember a few years back, I started getting very severe pain in the front of my left leg. I could barely walk. Then a few days later, the front of the leg was completely black (very large area) and I know as a certainty that I didn't hit myself. So I assume that I had some kind of blockage. The bruising never left and I had varicose shots to get rid of it. Even as today, there is some black vessels left but much less.

04/27/2011 07:31 PM
afmom

Thank you so very much for that info. I find out so much info here. It's great how much I find out but sometimes I get frustrated too. The more I learn the more it explains so many things I've been having problems with for a long time but are getting worse and worse now. Thank you though your info really helps me alot and explains alot about this bruising. I appreciate it. Smile

04/28/2011 10:46 AM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Hakuro, I did something similar and it was what ended up sending me to the rheumy about my bruises in the first place. It was a bruise that just appeared on my arm from wrist to elbow. It was the strangest thing and he though I was having some kind of clotting problem but I guess if that were the case the bruising would have been all over. So this he didn't really know what it was and then checked out my other bruises and said it was the combo of the Prednisone and Cellcept. I didn't remember that until you mentioned that. Yes it is amazing the things we learn from each other.

Afmom, I know that it can get frustrating realizing some of this and at times it is scary to think about it but I try to look at it like educating myself so that I recognize why things are happening. So much I have learned from others here that have gone through these things.

April

04/28/2011 02:38 PM
afmom

I understand and I don't mean to sound so ungrateful. I guess I still haven't accepted all the Lupus thing yet. I apolozie if I came off sounding ungrateful for the information everyone has given me. I do take it seriously and I appreciate it all. Thanks again!!

04/28/2011 02:57 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

afmom, I think you misunderstood what I said. You are not acting ungrateful at all. Smile

I am just saying that I understand what you mean about when you come and start to read all the things that could happen or have happened to others it can be scary. I know when I first joined I didn't realize just how complicated Lupus is. So I am sorry that I made you feel bad with my post. I wasn't thinking anything negative. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

April

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved