MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/29/2011 01:38 PM

Depression/Feeling sorry for yourself and others(page 2)

twistedDNA
twistedDNA  
VIP Member

Post edited by: twistedDNA, at: 07/05/2011 03:51 PM

01/29/2011 02:44 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

twistedDNA, Empathy is a great word. It is understanding what another is going through without feeling sorry for them. I think sometimes the two are confused. I think we can all relate to the loss of friends because they can't relate and somehow think that you will wake up normal tomorrow. Then you can be their friend again. I think this shows you who the true friends are.

April

02/01/2011 01:25 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

J3man.....I am sure you have much to offer this group as we could all use encouraging words.

Eva

02/01/2011 01:49 PM
J3man
J3man  

Thanks again to all.

02/04/2011 06:33 PM
Chortlesone
Chortlesone  

A more positive attitude towards the disease is imperative for over-all best possible health with this disease.

No two people will address a chronic illness the same just as no two people will go through a grieving process the same; there are steps each of us goes through and some are merely tied up on one step longer.

Depression is absolutely a symptom of Lupus....anxiety as well which will come across as negative. I personally have good days/bad days...but it's important to have days...as I say, "Every day above ground is a good one."

To believe that it is ok to tell others how to feel is wrong. It's akin to telling someone who lost a loved one...say six months later..."You aren't over it YET!?"

We all do things at a pace that is right for us....patience is imperative when dealing with those who live daily with illness....you should know this.

Be kind.....

02/04/2011 07:00 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Chortlesone.....I absolutely agree with you regarding positive thinking....it helps me get through my days and I believe it helps with chronic illnesses.

Eva

02/05/2011 06:49 AM
Chortlesone
Chortlesone  

Pity is the last thing I want...so much so that few people know about my diagnosis....many just know that I don't get out much.

People with chronic disease go through the grieving process just like someone who lost a loved one....it's grieving for the loss of the former self and includes denial, anger, sadness, bartering, and hopefully acceptance sets in in the end.

I just think that people posting negative comments regarding other people's posts is counter-productive in actually helping them....simply this.

Good day.....

02/05/2011 12:23 PM
Tina06
Tina06  

I agree. Depression can be alot more serious than some may think. I have a better understanding of myself when I get a little down versus going way down and I try to pick myself back up when I feel myself slipping to way down because I've been there before and don't want to go back. I also realize that support from family and friends who truly care about your well being is a major help. I'm not afraid to let them know that I need someone to talk to because I'm feeling down and I am very blessed that my support is there. Please don't ever be afraid to seek help if you're feeling down. This support group has helped me through alot of good and bad in my life and I'm very glad to be apart of it. On my really bad days I check my email and get a hug from someone from this group and it is really uplifting to know that someone is thinking of you in a geniune caring way.

I'm not one for pity at all and recognize that difference of wanting pity versus needing help. I just want everyone to know that I will be glad to be that extra friend in your time of need. Have a great day!

02/05/2011 05:01 PM
Chortlesone
Chortlesone  

It is now, and has always been, my belief that whenever one is diagnosed with a life-changing illness they are offered anti-depressants.

I have seen family and friends whom I loved dearly, and who thought taking any pill was a sign of weakness...forego anything for depression.

Depression should be expected when one is told they have a life-changing illness. Maybe at the onset the person feels they can handle it...but ultimately there is a loss of the former self...loss of work which for many indicates a feeling of "usefulness", loss of old self and not being able to do the things they enjoy, etc., This should be the standard in treating people with chronic or terminal illness.

Depression, as I know it all too well...will creep into the very spirit of anyone who is alive when told they have a chronic disease or are terminal. This isn't rocket science nor should it be mistaken for it.

02/05/2011 05:35 PM
Gen

I always thought "No way was I ever going to take antidepressents!" But lupus has change me. This illness and all that goes with it is very hard to deal with.

My doctor who I love told me if she had to handle what I go though she would take them too.

Being depressed is part of lupus. We go through so much. Doctors, tests, and more tests,pills, family, friends, PAIN, SO MUCH PAIN and so on. We have so much to deal with.

Gen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved