MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/10/2008 04:53 PM

ankle swelling

nickoa
nickoaPosts: 45

I am new to lupus and was wondering if ankle swelling is a part of it? every week during a bad flare-up my ankle swell huge and they hurt.Sad

11/10/2008 04:59 PM
hshoe29
hshoe29  

At the start of my flare, my ankle swelled too. Huge swelling!!! It took 6 months for my ankles to go down. At one point I went from a size 6 to a size 8 and they hurt all the time. I was on 40-20mg of prednisone. Now that I have started Cellcept and my prednisone is down to 8mg they are back to normal. I now how bad it sucks. Make sure you talk to your doctor. It could be something else but it's probably the lupus. When my ankles hurt that bad I was taking darvocet or perocet. Good luck.

11/10/2008 07:23 PM
Jessykay
JessykayPosts: 29

I have been getting the ankle swelling as well. I usually get it in my knees too. I'm not currently on any meds (personal choice). My Rheumatologist is pushing Plaquenil on me now because I'm have early signs of kidney issues. I hate this because it goes against my holistic beliefs. I'm not sure if taking it is the right choice? Any tips, anyone?

11/11/2008 08:33 AM
Faith19
Faith19  

well, i've been taking plaquenil for two years since I was diagnosed from SLE. Before i started for twice a day but now Im only taking once a day. I heard it can cause cataract thats why I have to see my eye doctor every other 6 mos. Aside from that Im taking some tyleno #4 if I cant manage the pain of my leg. I got a hip damage and Im looking forward for physiotherapist and see if they can help me. Im also taking some multi vitamins, Vitamins C and thats all. drinking lots of water everyday so the meds will flush to your system. It helps to clean the kidney. If your doctor wants you to take some medicine..try to follow his instruction. even me..i dont wanna take any meds but we have to. Plaquenil is immuno suppressant so i beleive in this medicine.

11/11/2008 07:18 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

My ankles swell too. Sad I'm not on any meds that would make them do that either. I think it's part of the arthritis aspect of the whole disease.

Jessykay- Do you see a Holistic Medicine doctor for your Lupus and/or symptoms? (Feel free to send me a PM and we can talk about holistic medicine that way if you'd like.)

11/19/2008 11:28 AM
Tillie
Tillie  

Yes on the ankle swelling-right before/during a flare....

12/18/2008 05:20 PM
monisedurr
monisedurr  

Wow! My ankles were huge up until a few weeks ago. I had buy shoes a size bigger, but now they are too big and I am wearing my regular size. It is amazing to have others to share this with as awful as it is.

01/11/2009 04:51 PM
nickoa

lol i hear ya monisedurr i too had to buy one size bigger in shoes when my ankles are not swelling i can tell cause i have to tighten my shoe strings up. I currently had a severe flare-up and now my ankles are swelling huge. has anyone notice a bruise on the top of your foot i mostly notice it when my ankles swell.

hope everyones doing well these days

01/11/2009 06:01 PM
monisedurr
monisedurr  

yes, I have a bruise on the left side of both feet that will not go away. Although swelling has decreased.

01/12/2009 11:05 PM
nickoa

hmmm i wonder why we get bruises there, its very strange to me. Also i have notice that my feet and ankles swell at least once a week with moderate pain, I guess its just something i have to get use to.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved