MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/18/2008 07:37 PM

medication options

julie6097

I am a 48 year old woman who has been battling lupus for the past 5 years. I have not a had a flare all summer till now. I currently take plaquenil and Melaxocam and will start taking prednisone and methotraxeate next week. I took prednisone in the past and gained 25 lbs which i haven't been able lose. The thought of taking these new drugs and their side effects scares me to death. I feel like I should just learn to live with the flares and skip taking so many different drugs. I am new to this site and looking for answers, someone who understands, and just someone to listen, thanksSad Sad

10/19/2008 02:26 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to this wonderful support site. I know what its like wanting to just quit all the medicaions and than I remember what it was like before I started taking them I couldn't even get out of bed and use the restroom without my husbands help. I too gained quite abit of weight from taking prednisone. I was on 60 mgs. and my rheumy wanted to get me off the drug except for when I go through flares so she started tappering me off slowly and I am now down to 2 mgs. My body hurts more without the higher dose but its good to be off. I still can't lose the extra weight and I try to exercise but its difficult when your hurting so bad.

I was first diagnosed with lupus in 1996 and my rheumy first tried me on plaquinil but I became allergic to it so she put me on a combination of methotrexate and arava and the combination of these medications caused me to get bladder infections every month so needless to say I had to stop them. She then put me on cellcept and since that time imuran and neurontin and now lyrica. I have been on some of these medications for at least 7 years and I truly believe that my body is getting used to them so I need to discuss with my rheumy about medicaiton changes.

We are here for you anytime you need to talk to vent or to share. I have met some wonderful people who are very caring and understanding because we are basically all in the same situation. Please hang in there and let us know how the predinsone and methotrexate are working for you. I will be sending prayers your way.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved