MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/07/2010 10:05 PM

This got me thinking

wozment
wozment  

As most of you know, I had two positive ANA's back in April and May of this year and was diagnosed with Lupus by my family doctor. Only to be sent to a Rheumatologist that has told me I have a negative ANA a couple of times a week. Lol. What got me thinking is this...when I had blood drawn by my family doctor, it took 2-3 weeks to get my results back. With my rheumy, I get the results back the very same day. Could the difference in my results have something to do with the labs they are using, or the amount of time it takes me to get my tests back? What I mean is...could my family doctor be sending them to a 'better' lab? Or does it not really matter where it is done?

I do know that with Lyme Disease (which I was incorrectly diagnosed with before) has different outcomes sometimes depending on the lab (type of test) that is run.

~Wendy

Post edited by: wozment, at: 09/07/2010 10:12 PM

09/07/2010 10:22 PM
Looopie

Hi Wendy. I think there are 2 ways the ANA could be tested: (1) by indirect immunofluorescence microscopy, OR (2) by ELISA, and the rates which the tests are produced differ between tests. Using the 1st method, the fluorescence pattern e.g homogeneous, speckled, nucleolar etc... could indicate what kind of AI that you have. The 2nd method, the ELISA test (so I was told) is more sensitive and detect all types of ANAs, dsDNA, SSA etc... If you test positive for both & at high ANA titre, then you have struck the autoimmune disease lottery. If you have negative test, it does not mean you don't have AI, just as there are many lupies with negative ANAs. Perhaps when you flare next time, your autoimmune panel may show more AI markers.

I wonder if this info is ok. It would be great if our friends add more to this post and build up our knowledge. Hoping that you are keeping well. Marie

09/08/2010 06:20 PM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

It doesn't matter where it's done. It should all come out the same. It could be the labs that they use are different as far as time frame when getting the results back, but it shouldn't matter on the actual test. It sounds like you are getting soooo frustrated. I don't blame you a bit. Do you have pain pills and muscle relaxants to take? Is a flare coming on yet?

09/08/2010 07:40 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Loopie, that seems to be what I remember. I have had it done a few times and sometimes they just check the ANA titer but they have also tested for specific antibodies. I had a positive SSA also. I think knowing the specific antibody types you have helps them with diagnosis. I know my doctor also told me that results can be altered by Prednisone and Immunosupression drugs.

April

09/08/2010 09:47 PM
Looopie

I agree April. I was told our autoimmune markers elevate during flaring, and subside during remission or whilst taking lupus meds. Marie

09/08/2010 10:37 PM
redhairali
redhairali  
Group Leader

And remember, sometimes lab numbers have no relation to how we feel. Lupus can be so fickle. Just let the doctor know how you are doing.

Alison

09/08/2010 11:07 PM
wozment
wozment  

Thanks for all of your responses. I do know that while I am still exhausted all of the time, I do not believe I am currently in a flare. I actually am feeling better than I have in awhile. Sadly, I have considered doing things to purposely try to send myself into a flare of some sort just so I would have a better chance of a positive ANA again. Lol. Thats so bad, I know.

Lynnette- My doctor has me on Prozac (for depression and pain of Fibro), Meclizine (for dizziness), Gabapentin (for pain) and 50,000IU of Vitamin D (for my deficiency). Lol...which I know you already know all of these. Lol. But that is it for the time being...

~Wendy

09/13/2010 06:51 AM
Lupie
Lupie  

Hi Wozment -

I am sure you know this, but you actually don't need a positive ANA test to be diagnosed with Lupus. There are actually 11 criteria that are typically used in diagnosing a patient. I actually don't show a positive ANA but I have had lupus for 12 years. Here is a link to the 11 criteria:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lupus/DS00115/ DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

in any case, I hope you are feeling better!

09/14/2010 12:51 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Lupie.....I am just like you....I have never had a positive ANA....but I have a lot of the 11 criteria to be Lupus and that is what my Rheumatologist goes by.

Eva

09/14/2010 03:01 PM
wozment
wozment  

Thanks for giving me that link. I need to print it off and give it to my rheumy. Lol. I have almost every single thing on there!

~Wendy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved