MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/10/2010 04:49 PM

Hypersensitivity to food/meds

thissucksmajor

I have severe over-reactions to meds now, and food. It's unbelievable. Has anyone else experienced this? Does this indicate CNS involvement? My rheumy is having me go see a neurologist because of how extreme it is.

I know Lupus can cause peripheral neuropathy.. but it's much more than that. It's that + hyperaesthesia + hypersensitivity to even the smallest doses of meds + allergic reactions to almost every food. Eating out is not an option at all. All I can have now days is STRICTLY organic meats and certain organic fruits and veggies. That is all people. Anything with salt or sugar? Anything processed? FORGET IT! Someone tell me they're experiencing this too? Dizzy

Post edited by: thissucksmajor, at: 08/10/2010 04:52 PM

08/10/2010 05:20 PM
jackie13
jackie13  

before i went for treatment i would get allergic to food i never was

08/10/2010 05:54 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

I am very sensitive to meds and get rashes, excessive side effects and sometimes respiratory issues. I haven't had food allergies except for an issue with red food coloring when I was in high school and it caused facial and lip swelling. It would make sense that you can only eat organic if you have sensitivity since everything is processed or has chemical additives. I hope you have luck with the neurologist. I hope it isn't CNS related though. good luck.

April

Post edited by: Pandora74, at: 08/10/2010 06:04 PM

08/10/2010 06:23 PM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

yA, I'm very sensitive to medications also. I think we talked about this earlier. I think us Lupies are just sensitive souls in general. LOL.

08/10/2010 06:25 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I do have CNS involved Lupus and since that can cause Lupus migraines I can't eat certain foods.....my neurologist gave me a list of foods to avoid.....maybe you can talk to your neurologist about this list.

Eva

08/10/2010 09:26 PM
thissucksmajor

Thanks for all your responses!

April- So interesting about red food coloring! It's just another indication of how intricate our chemistry is. I would have never suspected something like that to induce such a reaction! I'm glad you were able to figure out the culprit!

Lynnette- Yes, you get it! I'm so glad you're here.

Eva- I was hoping you'd respond, because I know you have CNS involvement. I'm looking forward to getting more answers.

In-N-Out Burger FINALLY opened their first place in Utah this year, and of course, my body cannot handle even a bite! On the bright side, it's one way to stick to a diet! Smile

08/11/2010 05:19 AM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

We shop at Whole Foods and don't eat anything processed. I am really sensitive to any amount of salt now. If I ever try a bite of one of my daughters cheetos or doritos or anything like that it seems so yucky - salty. MSG will make me blow up and I can't get my rings off. ~ Julie

08/11/2010 07:06 AM
thissucksmajor

Julie,

Whole Foods and doctor's offices are my only destinations these days. I can tooootally relate about MSG. I've had to say bye bye to chinese food. And, my beloved Ramen noodles. Sheesh. I'm going to eat a carrot.

I tried Prozac for the first time yesterday and had a terrible reaction. I won't have 1 more of those. Yikesies.

08/11/2010 07:27 AM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

I can't eat garlic anymore, which I used to love garlic! I'm supersensitive to lotions and stuff for my skin. Also, I can't eat anything spicy!

Take Care,

Amy

08/11/2010 05:27 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Elizabeth......I can't have MSG because it causes migraines....I love chinese food so I will ask before we go and they can leave the MSG out of it. Try asking at your local chinese restaurants.

Eva

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved