MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/27/2010 05:07 PM

Things about Lupus that make me smile

thissucksmajor

Okay.. I do my fair share of griping here. We all deserve to! But I just wanted to share a few things that have made me smile in relation to this disease.

I haven't read the paper from the following link, but the headline is: "Positive Sexual Effects of Chronic Illness: Case Studies of Women with Lupus (SLE)" Hahaha! You women out there are getting down with your bad selfs! Way to toss in a dose of naw-tay! Wink I love you all.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u0nqm12521h231n8/

Secondly, I saw this bag for sale the other day that says at the top "Everyone is talking about the amazing Prednisone Makeover" It has a drawing of a woman who looks nice, but doesn't look like she has any hair, and under her it says "Before" and then "After" is a drawing of something like a Wookie (the species Chewbacca is in Star Wars). Hahahaha! There's some nervous laughter in there as well, I think. I hope I don't end up looking like a wookie! So funny.

http://www.cafepress.com/ +prednisolone_makeover_tote_bag,64190321

And last, but certainly not least: Raynaud's phenomenon. I know it can hurt.. and make you look like an alien (maybe it's just me), but today a few of my fingers turned white and the rest were their normal, pinkish, sexy selfs, and even though it can suck, you've got to admit it kind of looks cool! Like.. "whoooaa!" Anyways, I think it's cool. I'd like to think I'd be jealous if I saw someone with that and didn't know what it felt like. Smile

Feel free to share anything you think is funny or cool. Or feel free to share what sucks! I'm grateful for this site and for you all. *hugs*

06/27/2010 06:03 PM
Hakuro
Hakuro  

The prednisone thing is freaking me out!!!

06/28/2010 03:20 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think what I smile about is that Lupus made me a stronger person and I like that part about me......I also smile when I have the butterfly rash on my face....one is because I love butterflies and second I have color on my face and don't look like a ghost......I do smile a lot and I think that helps my everyday living.

EvaSmile

06/28/2010 03:56 PM
thissucksmajor

Eva, you're an angel in disguise. Your support has really helped me in accepting this disease, and finding life outside it. Thank you for your comment.

06/28/2010 04:08 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

thissucksmajor.....what a nice comment that makes me feel good to know that maybe I do make a difference in someones life......that is what I like to do.....I want people to know that just because they have a chronic illness is that they have to give up on life....it should make you want to fight for your life......that's me in a nut shell.......take care my wonderful Lupus Family.

Eva

06/29/2010 10:36 PM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

Thank you so much for posting the great link! I do think that having lupus can have some positive effects as well. I'm in a relationship now that I may have never gotten to be had I not become ill! I like to feel I represent those women studied with a positive effect as well. I sure think of it that way Smile

I also agree that Eva has been a huge help and support to me. Thanks for being you Eva Smile

Amy

06/30/2010 01:16 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Thanks AmySmile

Eva

07/10/2010 06:11 AM
Mary647

Well, with most of us lupus patients staying out of the sun, our skin cancer risk goes down. That's something. Smile

07/10/2010 12:12 PM
Micro

Purple is my favorite color; so if there's going to be a ribbon on my car it might as well be of the color I like...right?

07/10/2010 12:20 PM
wozment
wozment  

Eva, your comment about the butterfly rash made me smile. I have always loved butterflies and even had one tattooed on my ankle when I turned 30 Smile I have heard/seen the 'butterfly' being a symbol for Lupus, so even though I did not know about Lupus when I had the tattoo done, I now like to think that my tattoo is my way of showing support to the disease! Lol. Silly, I know. Haha!

And to top it off, I am planning on getting four small butterflies tattooed on the top of my foot (one for each one of my four children) Wink

~Wendy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved