MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/09/2010 04:02 PM

Lupus and Flying on Plane

tross
tross  

Wink Has anyone that has SLE flown on an airplane? If the cabin pressure affects the Lupus to cause flares or pain. May be flying to England and was curious if anyone had problems? Thanks you in advance for your responses. God Bless you all, Thelma

06/09/2010 05:40 PM
redhairali
redhairali  
Group Leader

I've flown and had no problems. I can't remember anyone complaining about it. I am sure more people will weigh in about it. If you are going for vacation I would worry more about trying to not over do things. But, it sounds fun. I hope the reason is a good one.

Alison

06/09/2010 08:15 PM
Looopie

Hi Tross. I've flown on a plane. The high pressure makes my joint pain worse, and I have palpitations at high pressure. Hope this helps. Marie

06/10/2010 12:19 PM
2Nsunshine
2Nsunshine  

Flying gives me migraines and I get a bit achy, but it goes away once we've been back on the ground for a while. Hope this helps, good luck and have fun on your trip!

06/10/2010 01:16 PM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

I just know when I traveled by plane for work, I would feel worse. So, maybe there was a relationship? Not sure though.

AMy

06/11/2010 12:26 PM
Lupie
Lupie  

I used to travel all the time from work and really my biggest complaint is that I would almost always get sick afterward but I attribute that to the re-circulating air in the cabin. Other than that, it just gets tiring if you travel a lot so overdoing it can make it worse. I always try to rest on the plane, drink plenty of water, and wear comfy shoes.

Hope this helps!

06/14/2010 11:33 AM
MarthaM

I've never had problems except like Lupie said -- catching colds after -- and I am so much more susceptible to that now anyways -- you just have to be extra viligant with germs etc. My joint pain was no worse. Drink lots of water and stay away from salty snacks.

06/16/2010 12:52 PM
Teatime

I've flown to England a few times since being diagnosed. Cabin pressure doesn't affect me at all. The biggest concern for a lot of people on a trans-Atlantic flight is deep vein thrombosis. They sell stockings you can wear on the plane that helps and it's always good to move around frequently.

I will NOT use an American carrier to fly to England. Been there, done that, huge disaster. I know British Airways has been having difficulties with a cabin crew strike recently but they are SO helpful to disabled passengers! I love BA and wouldn't fly to England with anyone else.

First off, BA gives you all sorts of choices on their website when you've bought a ticket for one of their flights. They have a lot of menu/dietary options and you can choose what type of meal you want. They also place great emphasis on keeping you hydrated, and they offer water and refreshments often. You can literally choose your seat on the plane at their website. There are diagrams of the plane and the seats showing what the plane looks like inside, which seats are available and which are taken.

Also, indicate you are disabled when you're filling in your info on the website. They will make sure you have assistance on and off the plane and they will have cabin crew check on you during the flight. They're wonderful! They ask you if you need water to take your meds, if you need extra pillows or anything and they really try to make you comfortable.

All of this is available in coach, btw. The American airlines do NOT provide this level of service in coach. Even if it costs a little bit more to fly with a British airline (and it may not), it's very much worth it.

Hope this helps!

Julie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved