MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/17/2010 07:20 PM

UTI Info regarding Steroids

AustinLisa
AustinLisaPosts: 110

One thing I forgot from my Dr. appointment....the doctor told me I have a UTI. I told that couldn't be, since I don't have any symptoms. He said when you're on high dose steroids (I'm on 60 mg a day), you often won't have the symptoms, but you have to watch for this really closely, because it can easily turn very serious. I thought I should share since so many of us are on high dose steroids....so try to watch the color of your urine I guess, and maybe keep some test strips around, because I truly have NO symptoms at all. Smile

05/18/2010 07:36 AM
MarthaM

Thanks for that info. Hope your infection is cleared up soon.

05/18/2010 09:34 AM
redhairali
redhairali  
Group Leader

Thanks for the heads up on UTI and prednisone.

Alison

05/18/2010 12:33 PM
Bunnyhugger75
Bunnyhugger75  

I didn't know that either, thank you for sharing the information. I hope your infection clears up without complications.

Take Care,

Amy

05/18/2010 12:44 PM
PatePrincess
PatePrincess  

That makes sense i am on predisone and just got over a nasty bad UTI

05/18/2010 05:55 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Thanks for the infor Lisa.....I also kept getting UTI for about a year because I was on high steroids and I didn't even know I had them....it always showed up in the blood work so my doctor would call and tell me and I would have to be put on antibiotics.......when your body is being suppressed you can't tell you have them.

Eva

05/20/2010 12:11 PM
Lupie
Lupie  

Thanks for the info - I get UTIs alot and always wondered if there was a correlation.

05/27/2010 11:19 PM
Starrshyne
Starrshyne  

I'm just finishing off anti-b for having uti.

05/28/2010 12:57 PM
Pandora74
Pandora74  
I'm an Advocate

Has anyone tried Vit C and Cranberry tabs for UTI prevention. It makes the bladder acidic so it is difficult for bacteria to grow. My daughter had several and they kept returning every few months and the bacteria after culture was Staph. So we tried this and she has never been treated with antibiotics since. She took it daily for a few years and now only takes it when she feels symptoms. Seems to work I have done it a few times. Has anyone else ever tried it?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved